Honors Classes

>

Sissisme18

Sissisme18

Honors Classes
Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!

I am teaching an Honors level history class for the first time in addition to standard. I am struggling as I feel I am not doing a great job differentiating between the two. Any tips? We do not have textbooks so I am responsible for finding my own materials.

I would love to incorporate more writing and discussion if anyone has tips!

Thank you!

Nashaun Lee

Nashaun Lee

Response
Old 02-08-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,

Congratulations! It is amazing to have more History educators educating our students about the importance of History . I do believe as a society we need to take more time to appreciate History and learn to grow from it. So, I do have few quick questions before I dive deeper into this post?

---- What content is being taught/grade-levels?
---- Have you created your curriculum from scratch ?
---- Is anything with your curriculum intercorrelated with English?? Are any of your plans similar?

Specifically, I would begin to look into the rigor of the materials being created for your general and honors class. Is the content the same? Does your teaching styles change between both classes? I think it might be a great idea to find a college textbook to help build your History honors class curriculum. Do you use Gradual Release of Responsibility as your instructional method? Does your school embed the "college prep"? Maybe possibly facilitating those classes like a college classroom could help? I definitely would interested in assisting in you with your curriculum and the planning of your courses .

Sincerely,
Nashaun

cruxian

Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't teach any honors classes but DD is in an honors history class. Phew! She's a freshman and it's been a bit of an adjustment. I've noticed the difference between that and the typical pace is the amount of work required from her seems to be substantially higher. Lots of analysis of original source material and lots and lots of writing and responding to texts. The teacher seems to be prepping them to be able to write an AP essay so it seems to be helping her with her LA class.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote