Career Decisions

jobs at the county office

>

teacherjobs12

teacherjobs12

jobs at the county office
Old 04-08-2018, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A poster got me wondering. If you start your career as a teacher but want to move up to your county's/district's office and work in some capacity there, what exactly are the positions and roles? Does anyone have any information about this? Is an upward move to the county office really a "move up" in terms of pay, responsibilty, etc..?

broomrider

I'd think
Old 05-01-2018, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that it depends on the district and the job descriptions and salary schedule.

Each district has it's own job titles and duties. You could look at the website for your own and surrounding districts and see jobs and descriptions in general as well as those up for applicants. Your first step might be contacting personnel/HR and asking for a listing of non-administrative district positions. And perhaps those with an administrative credential as well if that interests you.

My district has had a variety of positions including traveling mentors for new teachers, people demonstrating and supporting implementation of new programs, in-service trainers for multi-districts paid by state grant, etc. etc. You could also check your state's dept of ed listings for positions supported by state and federal grants.

Whether or not the district is a move up depends on attitudes of classroom teachers, principals, district administrators toward those positions and who hold them--likely different on a person or position by position basis. Sometimes the pay is the same as a classroom with more responsibility or similar pay rate but more paid days of work.

And many remember that Peter as in the Peter Principle stated as a special ed teacher and have his attitude. "The Peter Principle is an observation that the tendency in most organizational hierarchies, such as that of a corporation, is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach the levels of their respective incompetence."
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote