Career Decisions

Crossroads

>

Wendy87

Wendy87

Crossroads
Old 05-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I posted before about the toxic first year I had due to being harassed by admin, a few parents, and my so called team. I have been subbing this year (including two long term positions), and had great experiences at other schools. I've made good connections, received great feedback and reconnected with a friend. I have interviewed at a few schools but have not made it past that stage. I'm worried I'm being blacklisted even though I've switched districts. Or that because I'm masters plus, they go with someone they can pay less. I don't know what more I can do to get hired. I am being selective in what positions I'm applying for in order to be in a better environment, but have put myself out there. There is a hiring event coming up, but I'm not interested or qualified for any of the positions currently available. Should I pop by the tables of the schools I have applied to already (and been passed over) to say hi and that I'm still available? Also, should I resign myself to another year of subbing? Or should I take it as a sign and apply for non-teaching jobs? Thanks all for listening and advising!

Coopsgrammy

keep trying
Old 05-25-2018, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is a very good chance that districts are going with cheaper employees. However, It would not hurt for you to follow up on some of the districts you have applied to. Even if they have filled positions, last minute changes happen often. Good Luck!!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

is it possible
Old 05-31-2018, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for you to relocate? There are many areas and states that are begging for teachers and others that have a surplus. Some states (like Nevada) have even offered a signing bonus for teachers willing to move. Something to consider. You can get a new start, build up your resume, and then return to your current area if connections there are important to you.

My husband has relocated to my employment needs in the past and flourished.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

boothmar99

update on your situation?
Old 07-29-2018, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm a 10th year teacher who took a 2 yr break halfway between due to burn out. When I returned the situation with being harassed was even worse. I don't believe it's better anywhere. I've tried several districts, taught elementary and middle school.....all the same. I do hope you found a position. Don't give up because regardless of what it seems like, districts need teachers due to teachers leaving, etc. My advice is to keep trying to get a permanent position ....and don't let anyone bully you into thinking you are not a good teacher. This past year administration at my school tried to break me down by harassing me, calling me in every week for ridiculous things, however I stayed. They hated that more than anything because no matter what was said about me, or to me, the union was on my side. Next time, get your union involved if their accusations are unfounded! My union negotiated a superb recommendation letter for me if I agreed to resign. YES, they took it that far. I resigned and immediately was hired in another district at a school only 5 miles from where I live! Look at GOD!! hahaha
boothmar99 is offline   Reply With Quote