Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Sub Plans?

>

WordFountain

Sub Plans?
Old 08-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just out of curiosity what does your school require for sub plans? Does your school require separate “emergency sub plans”? What do you need in them?

We have required plans in a digital system, but we’re not allowed to use those. Instead we need to have “detailed” plans. So, I was wondering as back to school time is approaching what does your school require? TIA

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

We need to have them as well...
Old 08-10-2018, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We need details in case it is someone who has not been in our school often.

I have a thin three-ring binder in a bright color always available. It has the unchanging stuff-daily sked, bell times, emergency procedures, school map, lunch procedure, room phone numbers, discipline plan, etc.

I have a section for true emergency plans--not at all related to the ongoing day to day stuff. But, I try to encourage the sub to continue the regularly scheduled work in progress.

I will say though--in each of three districts so far, no one in authority has ever come by and asked to see them...ever. I have compared notes with other teachers when asked and showed them to my mentor teacher once in the early years.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-10-2018, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For general plans they are expected to be a little detailed- especially when I know in advance that I will be out they are pretty detailed and I spend a lot of time prepping them

For emergency plans its a different story

We are supposed to have them-but not everyone does.

At my old school we had to have them on file in the office-3 days worth including all copies

I have a generic plan that is pretty filled with fluff since they cant cover and new material so that they can work for any given day.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 08-11-2018, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks- my school is similar.

We need 3days worth of emergency plans that are kept in the main office.

I always write detailed plans for reg sub days.

I was thinking that one of the “perks” that the lesson plan rep told us at a training was the “ability to print out your plans & leave for a sub” We’ve never been able to do that and the 1 or 2 teachers that have tried were not looked upon highly from Admin.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-11-2018, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I could never print my daily plans for use of a sub either-they would never understand them and they would be beyond frazzled.

My daily plans would be fine if one of the other third grade teachers were to step into my class but other wise they are not at all sufficient for someone who doesn't know our curriculum pretty well.

I dont even assign much of my regular curriculum for subs. Its confusing and filled with jargon specific to the curriculum. When I first got it was totally confused and it took me months to "get" it. We can make it work because we know it, but no one could just walk in off the street and just know how to do it.

Just printing out our daily plans for a sub- no way. Not unless we want to return to a scene from Lord of the Flies

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 08-14-2018, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I honestly had 3 full-day themed lapbook styke plans from TPT for my emergency plans. I had three grades in my room at that time and getting a sub to follow the daily goal sheet for my students with no idea of their routines would be a nightmare. I tried it once and never again. My P was good with the TpT plans.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

whd507

as a sub...
Old 09-15-2018, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've seen plenty of plans, and some were great, some were lacking, some were confusing. I seek to continue the learning stream, and keep the class on track. plans that help me do that, even if its a review of recent material, is greatly appreciated. recently I have been getting plans that are pretty specific and appear to be modified from the regular plans, but 'softened" for the varied skills of some subs. kids see through the fluff all-purpose plans and it hurts classroom management. The thing I really appreciate in plans is when I'm told who the great kids are, the ones i need to encourage, and so forth, but also tell me how awesome your kids are. heap a ton of praise on them so I can read that to them, it has a dramatic effect sometimes. when I tell them your expectations, and you heaped praise on them, they will rise to that expectation.

also detailed plans with times (even if you have a schedule on the wall) I keep those plans in my pocket while on our daily adventure (lunches, recess, planning periods etc) and it helps.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 09-16-2018, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for sharing. You raise some good points.