Career Decisions

Special ed to General education

>

DreamTeacher0

Special ed to General education
Old 08-17-2018, 12:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I'll try to keep this short!

I interview for a 1st grade position and a sped position in a small district, was offered and accepted the sped position. At new teacher day, another building in the same district posted a gen ed classroom position. I would LOVE to be in gen ed again. My question is, do I ask my principal if I can interview/go for/move to that position or just stay in the sped position since I was just hired. I have experience in both sped and gen ed. My heart is in gen ed.

I don't want to not ask and be wondering all year, but I also don't want to ask and risk my position, having my new principal dislike me, saying no, or anything negative happen.

What do you recommend?

DreamTeacher0 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

Old 08-17-2018, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is tough. I was going to say, tell them you are excited to be a part of the district and see if it would be possible... but you also did interview for 1st grade already... so they would have called you for gen ed if they wanted you for that, I would think?
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would not say anything. Your position would be a lot harder to fill than a generic elementary teacher position, especially this late. No way would they let you move, and if you say something, you're going to already start on a really bad foot with your current P.

You don't want your P thinking that you don't really want your current job and that you're not committed to it. At this point, I think you need to do your best with your current job this year; next year you can try to transfer and apply to other districts for only gen ed openings.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

DreamTeacher0

Old 08-18-2018, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My husband said the same things. I'm just anxious if I don't say anything something won't open next year and then I'll be doing another year of special education which would be fine but where my heart is.
DreamTeacher0 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

Old 09-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What did you end up doing ?

cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote