Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Preschool Science Fair

>

Suecat1

Preschool Science Fair
Old 12-08-2018, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HELP!!!!

I am teaching Pre-K in a new District from 5th grade! My Superintendent just told us we need to participate in the science fair this year. The teacher who has been there said pre-K has never had to do a science fair project.

This year, we are required to do a different one in each class. Any one have any ideas for a Pre-K science fair? I have a presentation board and have until Dec. 21st to finish. They need to be done and submitted on Jan. 8, so we want to have them done before break.

I have to go through all the steps of a traditional science fair and collect data and have a hypothesis.

Thanks in advance!

Suecat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 12-08-2018, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would do something super simple. Like a sink or float chart and add pictures. The students can come up with the questions and hypothesis. If they say something, you can explain you are displaying the students' work.

Suecat1

Preschool Science Fair
Old 12-09-2018, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks Newto3's for your reply!

I thought about a sink/float, but it seems too simple. I was thinking of something that will change over time, like jelly bean science. They have to sort the jelly beans into little cups- all the same color jelly bean- and then add warm water and see what happens within an hour. I was going to take pictures of before and after. How does this sound?

Anyone else?
Suecat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
All day

All day

Keep it simple
Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sink or float is one that they understand and can explain at their level. Why make them do things that are beyond their developmental level? This leads to academics being pushed down PreK should be exploring with concrete materials. Sink or float is perfect.
Question Will it sink or float?
Hypothesis yes/no
I think it will s/f because ....
Try it
Record the result

If you want to make it more complex for older students visiting, get a piece of ebony wood. Wood doesn’t always float!!