Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

No YouTube!!

>

Guest1230

Guest1230

No YouTube!!
Old 04-04-2019, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We just found out that next year we will no longer be able to access YouTube in our classrooms. To be honest, science and social studies is where I use YouTube the most. I have songs that go with most of our science/ss topics that help to reinforce what we are learning about. When kids have a question about something we look it up and can usually find something on YouTube - For example, right now we are studying rocks. Of course, their favorite rocks are igneous so we watch a few "clips" (not movies) of volcanoes. There is also a great panoramic video of the Lincoln Memorial when we study Famous Americans. We watch the water pump scene from The Miracle Worker when studying Helen Keller... Things my students really get into. I am so frustrated about this! Just curious if you have any idea if they do take away YouTube from us if you have any idea of resources that can serve that need of bringing those kinds of experiences to our students.

Lakeside

Ridiculous!
Old 04-05-2019, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some parent probably complained about that "Momo" rumor that was going around.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a school would take away such a useful resource! We are not doing kids any favors by not teaching them to appropriately use the technology that they're growing up with and will have available to them as adults.

Doing things like you describe - looking up the answer when they have questions, safely watching a volcano, seeing the Lincoln memorial when you're far from DC - these are exactly the kind of habits that nurture kids' curiosity and create lifelong learners!

I'm angry on your behalf.

As for solutions:

Get ahold of an old-fashioned tape recorder and record the songs now, so you can at least play them without the video component?
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-05-2019, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Use this to download videos you use (and you can do it from home through out the year).
Then save them in a location you can find to use them again without youtube.

They did that to use years ago. Then so many people raised cane that they gave it back to us the next year.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 04-09-2019, 12:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are several websites where you can save Youtube videos on your computer. One that I used before was Keepvid,
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote