Help

National Board Certification

Incomplete C4

>

Kdesai

Incomplete C4
Old 05-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Scoring Question: My C2 and C3 components are awesome and I think I'll score high! BUT, my C4 is going to be incomplete, so I plan on having to do it next year anyway. My question is it worth it to submit a partial C4 to receive a score of 0 instead of "NS" or will they not even score it if I'm missing any of the parts/forms/evidence? What's the difference between a 0 and an "NS" score and will one or the other make my chances of passing impossible, even if I do well on the test too? Thanks for any input from you experienced national board candidates/certified teachers!

Kdesai is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissafay

Same boat
Old 05-13-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Great question and I canít wait to see the response to it. I am in the exact same situation.
Melissafay is offline   Reply With Quote

Kdesai

Same boat
Old 05-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry you're in the same boat, but it's kind of nice to know someone is! I spoke to two friends that have done their boards (one passed in two years, one tried all 4 in 1, like me, but didn't pass, and plans to do one next year. After thinking and talking to them, I've decided to not submit C4, even though I registered/paid for it. It seems like there's a good chance they won't even score the component if any parts are missing and I can't submit all of those parts by Wednesday. I'll score well on C2 and C3 and hopefully do well on the test, so I plan on doing C4 (or test) again next year. Please let me know what you decide/your plan because there isn't much other info/input on this online.

Zia

Old 05-14-2019, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would submit it. You paid for it, so you aren't out anything by submitting and could be pleasantly surprised? And I would take today and tomorrow off, make huge pots of coffee and work like crazy.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of my co-workers was in a similar situation last year. He was trying to complete all 4 components in 1 year. His C4 was unfinished at the deadline. He ended up submitting what he had, in hopes that he would score high enough in other areas and get some kind of score for C4. He ended up not certifying and is redoing C4 this year. He felt like since he had put work in on C4 and had paid for it, he might as well submit it and see what happens and also get whatever feedback he could.
Just one perspective.

Some other things to consider...

If you submit something, your C4 next year would be considered a retake, which means it would automatically get double scored. I don't know if you'd consider that a benefit to submitting this year or not. You get 2 retakes per component, so if you are really sure you'd get a 0 on this submission, you may not want to submit so that you still have 3 chances to submit the component (if you would be worried about not achieving a high enough score next time).

Depending on which part is missing, you could develop something to submit that would be able to be scored so that you could earn some points - especially if you think your other components are really strong. Like, if your PLN is what's missing, you could write about what you planned to do or hoped to do. It's not ideal, but at least it would be something for them to look at and say "not clear evidence" and get you a point to include in your total score and average component scores.

WGReading is online now   Reply With Quote

Kdesai

Old 05-14-2019, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks so much for the information, all! I was stressed and unsure of what to do, but feel good about it now. Good luck to those submitting tomorrow!