Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

4K Opening

>

middlestsis

4K Opening
Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really like my school and they recently had an opening for 4K. I have been teaching 2nd for about 6 years and I recently applied to a Reading Interventionist job. I'm worried that I won't get it because of school politics and I was wondering if I should go for this job?

I really do like 2nd grade and I like my grade level peers, but I had an awful year this year and thinking about staying makes me anxious. I feel like I might have more flexibility to teach students through play and have less focus on standardized testing. I realize that might just be my perspective though.

What can you guys tell me about what 4K is like and why I might like it or not? Thanks so much

middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 05-14-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach public integrated prek and I LOVE it. I love the fact that I have more flexibility and can do all the fun stuff. Iím lucky that my principal is very pro play based learning and is a mom of prek age kids so she gets it. We are also in our own building which I believe helps as well. So my experience has been positive in the ways youíre looking for but I know thatís not the case everywhere
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

middlestsis

Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your reply! I think I would really love some parts of it, but I worry because interacting with parents is one of my least favorite parts. I'd think I would do a lot more of that in 4k...
middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Youíll definitely do a lot more parent communication in a preschool setting. I teach public preschool (3-5years old) in an inclusive setting and this is a huge part of my day to day. A lot of my families have students who have never been away from them before, so thereís a lot of calming fears, reassuring them, building trust, addressing behavior issues (which can be different because you may be the first person to ever tell them that there is a behavior problem), and a lot of my families want really constant communication.

BUT, I love the flexibility I have to lesson plan, design my curriculum, differentiate instruction, change my schedule whenever I need to based on student need, and learn through play.