Help

National Board Certification

Gearing up for next year (EMC-LRLA)

>

DystopiaFan

Gearing up for next year (EMC-LRLA)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Knowing that I did not finish C4 this year and next year will be my last chance to go for it, I want to get started earlier. Is there anyone here who passed C4 and could give me pointers?

DystopiaFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-21-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Let me first say, "pass/fail" are not NBs terms. You get scores on each component and they either compute to certified or not certified yet.

Tackling C4...I'd start nailing down the SN/PLN over the summer. Start thinking about evidence, do backward planning on that.

Fill out the parts of the forms you can, have the Student/Adult Releases ready to hand out. That kind of thing, get some of the legwork done.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

DystopiaFan

Old 05-22-2019, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you clarify your abbreviations?
I did not score well on my last go, only scoring a 1. My total scaled score was an 80.
DystopiaFan is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 05-22-2019, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

SN=Student Need
PLN=Professional Learning Need

Zia gave me the same advice about starting over the summer before submitting C4, and she was right. I won't get my score until Dec, but I know I'm glad I got going on the SN and PLN early.
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote

MCk2

Old 05-22-2019, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Below is something that Hellobear had posted before that I copied and saved in a document in my Google Drive. It helped me get started with my planning.

Quote:
To me, there are 3 parts to C4: assessment, PLN, and SN. Thinking of them as 3 separate parts might help it seem less confusing. They ultimately don't have to relate to each other; mine didn't. But check your C4 rubric and make sure that within everything you compile among those 3 parts that you show evidence of everything they want to see, which is a lot for C4!!

MCk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-23-2019, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The year I did C4, I started in June. The SN/PLN both require working with colleagues and they don't always work to YOUR deadlines, so starting early gives time to nag, etc. There is a lot of legwork on C4 and a lot of moving pieces, and I considered and rejected multiple plans. Better to go through that process in June/July/August than March/April/May.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The hardest part of wrapping my mind around C4 was that the KoS/FA/SA/SSA stuff was all content-area specific, but that PLN/SN did not have to be.

Once I wrapped my head around that, and decided not to try to tie it all together, I felt like it was not so bad to put together.

It's just a weird component...feels like 2 shoved into 1, but they'd have to do some weird charging thing if they split it into 2 components, i.e., the KoS/FA/SA/SSA would be like $295 and then PLN/SN be $200 or something weird like that.
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote