Help

National Board Certification

ENL EAYA collaboration w ELA EAYA for C4 PLN

>

minnie2019

ENL EAYA collaboration w ELA EAYA for C4 PLN
Old 05-26-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Both the ELA teacher and me are planning to do the NBCT 2019-20. I am an ESL(English as a Second Language) teacher and will be co-teaching in ELA 3&4. I have always struggled w co-teaching, since the content teacher tends to lead, and I just follow, but I never have a significant time to plan together w the main teacher, so my help for the students is somehow limited.
Next school year is going to be crucial for my students since they need to write their research paper as a requirement for graduation (11th grade)& present their paper in front of a panel of teachers (12th grade). My ESL students are at the low-intermediate level, so lots of intentional instruction needs to happen in order for them to succeed and graduate. However, the "intentional" instruction can't happen if the ELA teacher and me don't collaborate often and closely.
My question is: Can both the ELA teacher and me put as a PLN to become proficient in the co-teaching program?
We could provide evidence of meeting the goal by:
1.having weekly planning sessions - the notes from the sessions being a part of the evidence
2.sharing responsibilities in the class e.g. I always teach vocabulary, or select activities culturally appropriate to activate prior knowledge. The ELA teacher always....
3.Both participate in a district PD - implement a strategy we learn in the session
4.both lead one session on co-teaching in a PD at our school/ have a survey for other teachers to complete about their take-aways from the session. Reach back to participants in the PD w things they implemented in their classrooms/ model co-teaching

As for evidence on the impact for the students, we could have some type of assessment at the beginning of school year, and surveys/observations along the school year to see their response to our team work, and maybe several results from summative assessments given after units.

Our entries in the WC will be different since we will have different notes from PDs, different roles in the classroom, different takes on how the collaboration helped us grow as teachers...
However, Could we submit some pieces of evidence that are the same (e.g. emails between us, results from the assessments, slides from our PD led at school)?
Thank you.

minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-27-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hmmm...I'm hesitant to advise you. My gut says no, because submitting the exact same thing smells like plagiarism--I know it isn't, but could look like it is. I would contact NBs with this one.

I'd recommend you two do not work together on your entries. You could inadvertently take the same tack and end up with very similar entries.

Best luck and let us know what NBs says.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you, Zia.
You are right, the entries might look too similar if we work together. I will rethink the PLN, either by gearing it only towards my own need, or by changing it all together.
BTW, your advice in a different post about working on the PLN and SN during the summer is invaluable, since I'm planning to tackle all four components in one year
Also, I took your tip of sending Bobbie Faulkner an email and get the addendum of C4. Great resource

NBCoach

Old 05-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Minnie. Zia has alerted me to your dilemma Before commenting further, may I ask..are you two working on the SAME certificate area or DIFFERENT ones? Is she is going for the ELA certificate and you are working on the English as a New Language certificate, for example? That could make a difference in my response.

I'll look for your response.
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Different certificate areas
Old 05-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, NBCoach. We applied for different certificate areas, I am working for English as a New Language, and she is working for the ELA.

NBCoach

Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

First, understand that I am not an assessor so I don't know all there is to know about how work is assessed. For C1,2, and 3, you'll be assessed by someone in YOUR subject/certificate area. What I'm not sure of is whether C4 is also assessed only by someone in your certificate area or whether C4 can be assessed by someone outside your certificate area i.e. "any" C4 assessor because it's more "generic", especially the Professional Learning Need and Student Need parts. I'll make some inquiries and see if I can find out the answer. But till then...here is what I suggest.

For the moment, take Zia's advice and make note that your work MUST be different from that of any colleague. So if you and a colleague have the same/similar Need(s) , collaborate, etc. YOUR evidence and outcomes need to reflect only YOUR efforts. Not working together on the writing etc. would be important so that each's submission would totally reflect only the work of the writer. There would be little to no "WE" voice...only the first person, "I" voice.

First, be clear you understand the difference between the PLN and the SN. ONLY the SN requires collaboration. The PLN could have collaboration, but it isn't required there. In the PLN, the emphasis is on LEARNING -what you need to do something better with/for your kids. In your case, you need to LEARN more about co-teaching.

The way to manage this is to focus entirely on YOUR PART of the co-teaching and other than to state that you co-teach, make the PLN about what YOU learn, what YOU do, how YOU apply the learning and then gather evidence about the kids YOU teach.

The SN is where collaboration/leadership comes in. Just working off your original post, you would identify a need students have and then tell how you collaborated to meet that need. Working with a co-teacher could be a possibility here, but your evidence would need to be different than hers. You'd again focus on what YOU did to collaborate and how that led to impact on YOUR students.

I'd suggest working from this premise for now. I've asked some others for clarification about the C4 assessors and depending on what I find out, there could be some modification in my response. But this is definitely the safe route for now. Hope this helps.

minnie2019

Old 05-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you. Your advice helped me reroute my thinking. My PLN will be for ME to improve as a co-teacher. So the goals, objectives, steps in meeting the objectives will focus on what I learn, and do w the learning to improve my kids' understanding in the ELA class. The evidence will be related on impact on me, my co-teacher, my kids/their families.
The SN will be something culturally related that will give me the opportunity to advocate, collaborate, and lead.

NBCoach

Old 05-27-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Your plan is sound. I received info from a couple of assessors I know who told me that C4 assessors do work within their certificate areas. For example, YOUR C4 will be evaluated by an ENL assessor and your co-worker's will be evaluated by an ELA assessor. What this means is that your assessor will have no idea about your colleague's work and her assessor will have no idea about yours. They won't be compared. That takes a little pressure off if SOME evidence between the 2 of you happens to overlap. However, DO concentrate on YOUR learning, YOUR students, etc.

Hope this also helps.

minnie2019

Old 05-27-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It helps.

Zia

Old 05-31-2019, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

NBCoach, thank you for always responding to my Bat Signal when I'm out of my depth! <3

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote