Help

Career Decisions

Masters advice

>

twin2

Masters advice
Old 06-25-2019, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was a para who became a teacher, and still don't have my own classroom. I have been a substitute teacher, had a couple (short) long term positions, and worked a year as a title I tutor, pulling students for small group reading and flex group math. Last year I made it into the teacher pool but only had two interviews. This year I didn't make it into the general Ed teacher pool, but made it for the special Ed pool. I feel the least qualified for this, especially since I do not have my special Ed endorsement. I do not want special Ed either, but would take it to get in as a permanent position, but I doubt it would be offered. My tutor position is part time, and I do not qualify for benefits, and am not even considered staff.

I'm looking into masters programs to make myself more marketable, or maybe it's to give me something to do to keep me up on the things of education-- the terms and practices that I seem to be getting cloudy on because I haven't practiced them. I'm expected to answer these interview questions as a seasoned teacher yet I've never had my own classroom. I am trying to get into a Title I school district. Some of the schools have students with more significant behavior problems and varying levels of poverty.

The programs I've looked into are Teaching in the Inclusive Classroom, Curriculum and Methods, Steam, and teaching the traumatized child. Because I used the words, "make myself more marketable" the entrance counselor at the college suggested the STEAM program. I'm not at all sure that's for me. Honestly, I'm afraid I wouldn't succeed, but I really don't know. I feel like I just need to get into the classroom and am leaning towards the Teaching in inclusive classrooms program.

How do you think this would be viewed by the school system? Am I spot on or thinking too narrowly?

twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-25-2019, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

IMO the only way to make yourself more marketable is to add endorsements to your license- like sped, EL, middle school grade levels, etc. The thing is, you need to be willing to teach in those areas. If your heart is set on being an elementary classroom teacher, I wouldn't do the MA now. Having more classes that don't lead to another type of position isn't going to make you more marketable. In fact, it might hold you back because many places are hesitant to pay for a teacher who has a MA degree but no experience.

I would also consider if you're willing to relocate- even if it's just for a year or two to get some real classroom experience on your resume, and then you would probably have better luck applying in your home state.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Thank you
Old 06-25-2019, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Haley, thanks for your input. These are the same things I've been telling myself since I graduated. I guess I'm starting to feel desperate and was willing to jump into a master's program. My husband is willing to support whatever decision I make, but he thinks it is a bad move to start a master's program right now. He is willing to relocate, has suggested it many times. I don't want to relocate. He has it too good where we are. While at least one of us is stable, I think we should stay put. Plus most of our family live in this area.

We talked about this decision today, and I've decided to focus on adding endorsements instead of pursuing my masters right now. Since I'm in the Spec Ed teacher pool, I will work on the Spec Ed endorsement first. After that I will work towards a middle school endorsement. My degree is for K-8, but the state requires the middle school endorsements. Middle school seems like the next logical step for me if I can't get elementary.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote