Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Small groups/differentiation

>

Suecat1

Small groups/differentiation
Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone who teaches PreK 4

What is the best way that works for you to differentiate when teaching small groups in PreK 4? Do you group 3-4 students at the same level together- or do you group 3-4 students at different levels (H-M-L) together? What work best when teaching different skills- ex. alphabet or numbers?

Suecat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 07-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it's handwriting or cutting with scissors, I group by different levels so you can work with the 2 who have difficulty with either skill, while the rest putter along doing their work.

I have an assistant who does the handwriting and scissors cutting for art, so that means I get that mixed-ability group for math, so after they line up the manipulatives like a train a few times, I may have the more able kids make patterns with the manipulatives (they often lend themselves to that) to keep them busy while I toss the dice for the ones closest to my seat and let them continue to count the dots and line up the items 'like a train' for extra practice.

I usually have 18 kids, so I have 3 groups of 6 each.

I could certainly see having a group of kids who are working on, say, early sight words by themselves. Maybe half the kids, with the other kids perhaps outside playing, then switch and they come in and I do abc review with them using Heidi songs letters and sounds CD and flash cards like the ones from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5A...hKTklfckU/view
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suecat1

Old 07-05-2019, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the suggestions! It sounds great and I will try the same this year! Any other suggestions about small group/differentiation?

You said you have your assistant work with scissors cutting for art- what other things does your assistant work with in small groups?

Thanks a lot to everyone in advance!
Suecat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Look at the Kindergarten board also
Old 07-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm pretty sure I very recently read a kindergarten teacher saying (not on this board, apparently--I just checked the entire first page of entries on the Kindergarten board of this website) that she pulls groups by mixed ability. She said that it helps the low students to watch the more advanced students, it "pulls them up like nothing else does."

I just thought of this, that it was Jacque on the Kindergarten board of this website who said that. She hasn't posted in a while, but if you go back and search for that name in the archives, you will find her ideas. I printed out her ideas before, and have been browsing thru my collection of ideas that I printed out from various places, and I think that is where I saw that idea.

PS I also definitely group by behavior. If I have a few 'problem' kids who don't listen that well, I put one child in a group, and another child in a second group. I usually have 3 groups, and if I have 4 'problems', then I will put 2 together in one group who are the least friendly with each other. Then I fill in the groups with kids in each group who aren't particularly friendly with each other, just so some work gets done!

I also recall from somewhere that a teacher has printed out an Excel sheet of what each child needs to learn. Both she and her assistant refer to that list while playing with the kids in centers or otherwise interacting with the kids.

Hopefully that will help you!
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote