This might be my last year. Mixed feelings. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

This might be my last year. Mixed feelings.

>

LuvsPixieDust

This might be my last year. Mixed feelings.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 28th year and I am 48. I was eligible at 25, but chose to continue on so that taking a lump sum option is possible if needed. Year 28 has always been the magic number for me. Well, this is that year.

Lsst year was a very hard year. I was tempted to just walk out and quit more than a few times, but I knew I did not need to do it. I was dealing with 2 major medical issues and a tough group.

This year promises to be SO much better for a number of reasons. Now all of a sudden I am feeling rejuvenated and excited about this year. At this moment I feel like I have a few more years left in me. I want to leave on a high note.

I know I will have big decisions to make. I have to decide whether or not to renew my NBCT. I am also at stage 4 kidney disease. If I decline much more, I will be visiting transplant centers for testing. I also have a fear of not being able to fulfill my full year committment to my students if I do get worse.

Less stress is appealing. I would still need a little part time job to keep me busy and to pay for insurance.

It's a good problem to have! I love this board. I try not to post here much since I am not a part of the club yet.

LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-30-2019, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, wait and see how it goes. It's nice to know you could retire if needed. I hope you have a healthy, happy year!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Before Retiring...
Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does your district has disability insurance? If you are unable to work due to health concerns, it might be more desirable to take disability rather than retirement.

Good luck during the coming school year.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-31-2019, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, you have a lot of factors to consider for when to retire. Good luck! We’ll see you when you’ve decided to, as you say, “join the club.”
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Too late for disability insurance.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since I already have a diagnosis I would not be eligible to purchase disability insurance. The rep for the company said I would be better off just retiring in the case that I need to leave. I have a semester of sick days built up that can count as a half year of service in the retirement system if I don't use them.

broomrider

here's hoping
Old 07-31-2019, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

that you have a good year and your health continues to let you feel energetic, especially at this point in the year when many are just a bit daunted by the classroom set up looming or present.

Working at something you know and have skills for is a good gig. I expect you well know that experience can go a long way to deal with students' energy.

You are welcome to join us whenever you reach the point of no return, but stay in the fray as long as you want. We'll be here.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thanks, y'all!
Old 07-31-2019, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I will keep on checking this board daily. Thanks for the well wishes and good advice.

At this point I still feel really good-like my normal high energy self. Very few people outside my close work friends and building admin know I have this serious kidney issue. I don't intend to make it public while teaching until it gets to the point of missing work and stuff. I certainly don't want my students to be worried about their teacher. (They do when they know something is wrong.)