Help

Retired Teachers

Volunteering question..

>

chipmunky

Volunteering question..
Old 08-12-2019, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have volunteered in my former school for the last few years. I do mindless, time consuming tasks like copying, filing, and sorting out the guided reading books. Now teacher friends have asked that I come in and help the students who are not getting support in reading.
I would love to do that but my questions are:
Would I need to be finger printed again?
What would it cost in your area?
Would the district or a PTO, etc. pay for it?

The price for finger printing and background check is $78. That seems like a lot of money to work for free.

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 08-12-2019, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a previous employee, all I did was fill out the paperwork to volunteer. No finger printing or cost involved. No you should not be expected to pay to volunteer. Just sayin...that would not be logical.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 08-12-2019, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my current city I contacted the local school district, filled out the application form, sent a copy of my driver's license, and they did the background check. This is done every two years. This year I had to reapply for my next 2 years of volunteering. In my volunteering I am working with students with reading, math, and writing.

I did mention in my application that I held a current state teaching certificate.

Last edited by Lynnteach2; 08-12-2019 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2019, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No finger printing or cost involved. No you should not be expected to pay to volunteer. Just sayin...that would not be logical.

Of course that wouldn't be logical. It is just the last few years I taught, nothing was logical!

Beach Glass

Checks
Old 08-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was considering subbing (with a current certified teaching certificate) in a neighboring town. Initially, I would have had to pay for both the finger printing and the background check. After substituting a certain number of times, those charges would be reimbursed to me. They had issues with paying for all that and then subs declining jobs.

I decided I was having too much fun in retirement. I do contract with my old school district for special ed testing, but they've never required me to get the background check. I think I flew under the radar as I started testing the school year after my retirement.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-12-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here you need to be background checked if you are in the schools on a regular basis. But, the police dept does the checks for the school dept for no cost to those needing a check.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 08-14-2019, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is the policy in my district:
Quote:
HOW CAN I BECOME INVOLVED IN AND PARTICIPATE IN SCHOOL PROGRAMS, EVENTS, OR ACTIVITIES AS A COMMUNITY MEMBER?

The School District recognizes three different categories for individuals to become involved in and participate in school programs, events, or activities:
VOLUNTEERS
HELPERS
VISITORS
Definitions of each of these categories can be found within Board Policy: Board Policy 916 Volunteers.

WHO NEEDS CLEARANCES?

All VOLUNTEERS are required to obtain clearances. Only those who meet the below definition of a Volunteer are required to obtain clearances. A volunteer means an unpaid individual who:
has been given responsibility for the care, supervision, guidance or control of children; or,
who is intended to or known to have regular and repeated contact with children that is integral to the individualís responsibilities.
Individuals who meet the above-referenced definition of a volunteer are required to obtain clearances. To further help you determine whether you meet the definition of a volunteer, examples of where individuals who would meet the definition of volunteer are as follows:
An adult, parent or guardian comes to school to assist the librarian and/or students in the library;
An adult, parent or guardian volunteers to go on a class trip and provides assistance to the teacher(s) during the course of the day, but may, at some point, be alone with a child;
An adult, parent or guardian coach attending practices and/or events on a regular basis.

WHEN DO I NEED TO GET MY CLEARANCES?
All volunteers are required to obtain clearances prior to volunteering.
Continuing volunteers need to renew clearances once every 60 months.
A volunteer has the affirmative obligation to notify the Director of Human Resources if they are arrested or convicted of a crime after clearances have been initially submitted.

WHAT PAPERWORK DO I NEED TO COMPLETE IN ORDER TO VOLUNTEER?

Volunteer Disclosure Form - All volunteers must have a Volunteer Disclosure Form on file with the Human Resources Department.
Act 114 FBI Federal Criminal History Report - (Online registration through IdentoGo) (The Service Code for Pennsylvania PDE Volunteer is:1KG6Y3.)
(1) Register on-line and schedule your fingerprinting appointment. Submit the registration receipt with the UE ID number, or submit your unofficial report copy to Human Resources; (2) Report to the designated fingerprinting site to have your fingerprints submitted electronically.
Act 151 Child Abuse History Clearance - Free for Volunteers (Online registration)
Act 34 State Police Criminal History Report - Free for Volunteers (Online registration)
TB Test - All volunteers who are in direct contact with students 10 or more hours per week must submit the results of a TB test in accordance with the Pennsylvania Department of Health. TB test date needs to be within a year of applying to be a volunteer.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 08-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It makes sense that you shouldnít have to pay to volunteer.

It looks like it shouldnít cost anything to volunteer in my district. There is a no pay code with the fingerprinting info.

Our parents need all of the clearances if they want to be considered as a chaperone on a trip. Unfortunately we donít have a population that would be able to navigate all of the requirements. The same handful of parents end up going on the trips every year. (We also have many parents who donít want to be found or have already been fingerprinted, but not for volunteer reasons.)
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Old 08-15-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We need fingerprinting AND TB testing (every four years) but the District paid for it. I think I'm done volunteering there, but am not 100% sure. I do volunteer with an adult literacy program through the public library and don't need either TB or fingerprinting for that.

I was startled, however, to receive a letter from my CHURCH (Catholic in southern half of California) saying the Archdiocese is requiring anyone volunteering (I am a lay lector and also cook and serve once a month at a homeless shelter) must be fingerprinted, so I'm scheduled to do that next month -- at their expense.

What a sad world we live in that trying to give back to the community still means having fingerprints on file with the local police department. I will comply as I get a lot of satisfaction from volunteering, and I know the Church has a history of all kinds of abuses of power, but still. Sorry that is our new reality.
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Thanks for responding...
Old 08-16-2019, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I can't find the exact code for my district.

I can really understand the need for a background check for everyone who is volunteering to work with children. I feel anything that helps in any small way to protect children or gives parents peace of mind it worthwhile. I also understand rules are for everyone, and I can't expect an exception because I lived only a few houses away from the school where I worked for more than 25 years.

I hope the PTO will pick up the fee or the school might have the money in a budget. Otherwise, I keep telling my DH that I really want to volunteer so I am looking for a nonviolent crime that I can be arrested for, booked, fingerprinted and the court fee and fines are less that $80.

My only other course of action is to start a GoFundMe and ask the staff in my school to pony up a dollar of so when they eat the home baked goods,usually cupcakes, I bring in every week!

ElemEd

Old 08-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It varies from location to location, so I would inquire at your own school system.
Here in SC, I started subbing a bit in a neighboring district after retiring, and since I did not let my teaching certificate lapse, there was no requirement for a background check or fingerprinting. But that's our local situation. Yours may be different.
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote