Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Parent Issues

>

special328k

Parent Issues
Old 08-18-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been a teacher for over 20 years and am at a loss here.
A few months ago, I moved to a new classroom because of an unexpected teacher move. There have been several teacher moved(maternity, retirement)

A few weeks ago, I get an email from a parent saying their little girl is saying that I'm "squeezing" her during Circle(not true) and I explain that it's been a thing in their classroom all year that they give themselves "squeezes" on their own arms as a transition from the bathroom TO Circle time and was started LONG before I came into the classroom.
This week, the little girl didn't nap, so I explained that she needed to be quiet so her friends could sleep and gave her books and then puzzles and some little things to play with to keep her busy during nap. (Also, her parent came to pick up as I was the only teacher with 4 Toddlers all in the bathroom~not the best time to devote 100% of my time to a high maintenance parent)
At one point during the morning, she took off IN THE PARKING LOT when she wasn't listening. We talked about how listening is important and that we need to keep our bodies safe.
There was an argument during playtime between two other children that if they don't go to sleep they won't grow. I said something to the affect that yes, out bodies to need sleep to grow, just like we need healthy foods to grow, like the yummy strawberries we had for snack this morning(distraction! But remember this!)

Got an email today. The parents don't understand why she needs to be quiet before she can have books(which I never said, ) and all kinds of strange things that their child is saying that are mixed up things that have been said or done throughout the day. Like she told them that I told her that she needed to go to sleep during nap because otherwise she wasn't going to grow to be tall. I never said anything like that. I don't know what she exactly said to them, either.

I am at my wit's end with these parents.

special328k is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's probably time to schedule a conference before things get any deeper. They sound like they are new to this whole school thing, and don't know what to expect. In the mean time, I'm reminded of this quote:
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-01-2019, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would schedule a conference and also keep a paper trail and notes of your meetings
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote