Classroom Management

First Day Criers

>

K4Tchr

K4Tchr

First Day Criers
Old 08-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am wondering if any veteran 4K teachers could share their wisdom on how to handle four-year-olds who cry on the first day(s) of school. I'm talking about the kind of crying in which they scream and cry to the point where the rest of the class can't hear over them. Last year (my first year), I had a child who cried very loudly for almost the entire first day (3 hours). I found it nearly impossible to teach anything to the rest of the class with the poor child crying inconsolably. He eventually got used to the school setting and was fine for the rest of the year, but I'm a little anxious that a scenario like this may happen again. I don't have a classroom aide and my room is very small, so there wouldn't be a place in my room where a screaming child would not be a major distraction to the rest of the class. What are the very best ways to calm a four-year-old with separation anxiety? What should I do if I can't calm the child?

broad

crying first day
Old 08-27-2019, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You need a volunteer! Is there anyone who could help you on the first day - a loving grandma like me! I saved a K teacher's life (according to her!!!) on the first two days of school. She had a screamer but with me just sitting with him he calmed down and now in the 3rd week of school he is doing well! She bought me some tea something I love which was very appreciative of her. I'm a sub too so often see this little boy. He actually calls me Grandma - so sweet!
broad is offline   Reply With Quote
K4Tchr

K4Tchr

Thanks
Old 08-27-2019, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your advice! How cute that that little boy calls you Grandma.

ThankaTchr

Hopefully not too late!
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a Kinder that didn't break down until weeks into the school year. I made a ticket out of the mom's phone #. He kept it in his pocket. He always knew he could call home if necessary (Not to cry or "come get me") But to tell her he was having an OK day. (I made that clear to him) He NEVER had to use it, but always had the number in his pocket!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote