Help

Retired Teachers

School Starting

>

travelingfar

School Starting
Old 08-26-2019, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today is the first day back for teachers in my school system. I took my dog on a walk earlier, and the parking lot at the school near my house was full of cars. It felt wonderful to stroll by knowing that I am no longer involved with endless meetings and beginning of the school year stress.

Retirement is glorious.

travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-26-2019, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Retirement is glorious.
travlingfar, I’m so glad you posted this. Yesterday I read all the posts by people who dislike retirement. I have such a different view of the world. I started to think there was something wrong with me for loving retirement.

I strongly believe life is what we make it. I spent the first 1.5 years of my retirement taking care of my DH 24/7. I did the best I could. Now I am no longer a wife or a teacher and I believe it is up to me to make my life happy.

If you define yourself as a teacher and live for teaching, maybe you shouldn’t retire. As far as I know, there are no mandatory age retirements in teaching. I wish everyone would retire when they’re ready. To me, this is right up there with the folks who retire then “discover” they need money. (And in case you want to criticize me, please know I seriously loved teaching, was a respected teacher, and retired at 65.)

I think life is a series of stages and it is up to us to find ways to make them enjoyable. I understand people who complain about the burden of raising kids on a limited income, but I will never understand people who whine about having free time.

I agree, retirement is glorious.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

I agree somewhat...
Old 08-26-2019, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that having my own time to do with what I want is wonderful! I am only just beginning to understand that I can actually do that (smile!)

But for some of us, retirement is difficult. I loved teaching, and I miss it - that doesn't mean that there's something wrong with me or that I won't eventually adjust to, and sincerely enjoy, retirement. For me, it's also that something I've done my whole life - work! - is not easy to move away from (and my mom would chastise me for ending a sentence in a preposition, but it sounded to weird to say "from which to move" (grin!))

There are many reasons that people retire, and some not by choice, so being "ready" is not always an option. I would have liked to teach for a few more years, but my husband was ready to retire from teaching, and he's 10 years older than I am (he's 74) and being with him while he enjoys his well-earned retirement is important to me.

I'm glad you made the adjustment to retirement easily, and with your inspiration, I am looking forward to the day I can write here and say - "I can't believe I ever had doubts about retiring!" (smile!)
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 08-26-2019, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I didn't read so much yesterday about people being unhappy with retirement. I read about people adjusting to retirement. It does take some time. I love being retired, but I still have to reinvent myself every couple of years as life changes. A friend moves away; another's time is consumed by a sick husband; a group you enjoyed evolves into something else, your traveling buddy isn't traveling so much. I'm finding I have to cast my net wider to adjust to the normal changes of life and aging. I like trying new things and I'm pretty good at it. I think it's harder for some people.

Some of us need scheduling! Some of us have a greater need to feel busy and/or useful. Teaching met both those needs. When the job is gone, people have to look for their new life. And because people and things change with time, it's good to have your interests, activities, and friends in several different areas-just as you don't have all your money in one basket.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote