Help

The VENT

Starting the year off in hell

>

SummerRose

Starting the year off in hell
Old 08-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Long post: Ok I started a new position in an ASD classroom coming from a post high classroom with 10 students, 5 of them in wheelchairs. It was a stressful position and field trips were a real task because of all the bodies and wheelchairs I had to maneuver. I also had to work in the summer during this position. I happily moved on after receiving my masters in ASD to a classroom with 3 students and 2 paraprofessionals, so I thought. On the first day of school I was notified that I would be given a new student, literally 5 minutes before he walked in. This students behavior is very problematic to say the least. He hits, screams and yells, attacks staff in the room, rolls around on the floor and constantly tries to masturbate in front of female staff. Today he screamed for over and hour because he was ready to go home regardless of the schedule in front of him clearly stating it was not time to go home. Iím currently 6 months pregnant and I am afraid he will hurt me as heís already grabbed me several times. Heís a 9th grade student and very strong as his mother indicated she makes him work out with weights. She also told me she doesnít like to give him his medication because it slows him down, which is what he needs! She indicated she likes to see him active and happy and the meds make him focus. Well in school he needs to focus if you donít want to medicate him at home thatís fine. I have all of these therapists coming into my room telling me what he needs such as no lights on, multiple visual schedules, give up my lunch and prep so he doesnít have to go to gym or lunch because itís over stimulating for him, more sensory items since the items (which I bought with my own money) is not enough, a sensory room (which we donít have and is out of my control), a weighted backpack with activities to walk around the building even though he is a runner. I have made visual schedules and he also has a first then schedule so he knows work first then drawing or iPad. Even though this is only the second day of him being in my class. They are still screaming for more schedules and a routine which I already have in place. My question is how can I make this a safe environment for myself students and staff when certain people are trying to make this a one student focused classroom? I have another student coming whose behavior is just as problematic and itís honestly stressful. I donít know how Iím going to make it through this school year and frankly I just want to quit. I donít make enough to get hit on a daily basis. The director of special education has also seen this behavior and was moving out of the way so she wouldnít get hit. The other students are upset and bothered by his behavior and frankly so am I.

SummerRose is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Old 08-27-2019, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I have all of these therapists coming into my room telling me what he needs such as no lights on, multiple visual schedules, give up my lunch and prep so he doesnít have to go to gym or lunch because itís over stimulating for him, more sensory items since the items (which I bought with my own money) is not enough, a sensory room (which we donít have and is out of my control), a weighted backpack with activities to walk around the building even though he is a runner.
Ummm. Suggest that the therapists provide you with the multiple visual schedules. If he needs sensory items, it should be in his IEP. If it is in his IEP, then the school district has to provide them. If it is not in his IEP, then ask the therapists what data they have to support the need of sensory items and ask them to provide at a meeting to update the IEP. Same with the weighted backpack. If the therapists believe a sensory room is essential, have them stick their opinions in writing and ask the district how/when/where your student can get the sensory room he needs. (Hopefully at some other school)

You need a plan in place for if/when he runs. (That plan should NOT include you running after him.)

Finally, you are entitled by law (and perhaps by contract) with a lunch break. One of your assistants should be able to stay with him during lunch and take his/her lunch break at some other time. Same with gym. If there are more needs for assistants than assistants, perhaps this student needs a 1/1. Insist on a lunch time and planning time. You have needs and responsibilities.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-27-2019, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

PE nailed it-also what does his BIP say.

I dont know if you have are in a union state/school but if so I would call my rep and let them know everything. Somethings go with the job, but (in my state at least) you are still entitled to a safe workplace with a plan in place to keep you safe, and you cannot be required to provide more/different sensory items out of your own pocket.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

SummerRose

BIP no where to be found
Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have repeatedly asked for the behavior plan and it has not been given to me. I contacted the person responsible for helping me right a new one and we have to obtain consent, set up a meeting and all of this other bs just to get one started. He needs one NOW. I have expressed concerns to everyone I possibly could and theyíre still not doing anything. Iíd rather take a leave of absence than deal with this bull.

WordFountain

Old 08-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Iím sorry youíre in this situation. Just a thought: When are you planning on taking your maternity leave? If you are stressed and itís taking a toll on your body / health then perhaps your doctor can write you a letter for restricted duty. Or, give you reasonable accommodations. It might be something to consider. I went out on leave 2 weeks sooner than I had originally planned due to a somewhat similar situation (although not as bad as yours). I had an aggressive ED student and at 8 1/2 months pregnant there were too many close calls. Itís also something to maybe discuss with your doctor at your next appointment.

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-27-2019, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I have repeatedly asked for the behavior plan and it has not been given to me. I contacted the person responsible for helping me right a new one and we have to obtain consent, set up a meeting and all of this other bs just to get one started. He needs one NOW.
First, have you checked SEIS (thats what our statewide sped computer data system is called-not sure what its called else where). Our BIPs go in the system along with the IEP so that the information can follow the student no matter where they go.

This is a massive red flag that they cant get it to you-you are responsible for implementing it and could be found out of compliance if you dont so document, document, document that you requested it and haven't received it.

GEEZ I complain about my district sometimes but they ALWAYS make sure we have IEPs and BIPS BEFORE students arrive.

SummerRose

First thing I did
Old 08-28-2019, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The very moment he walked into my room fighting the paraprofessionals I looked for the BIP which should have been in the same location with his IEP, it wasnít. I called the special ed. supervisors to request his BIP and I still have not received it. Iím currently in the hospital now because he hit me in the stomach first thing this morning. Great way to start the day right?

slg

Old 08-28-2019, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh no! I hope you and Baby are okay.

This is not right if this is what it takes to get the information and help you need. Angry and concerned for you. I sure hope the administration will step up now or they will be in BIG trouble for putting you and Baby in danger. Grrrr.

Please keep us updated.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Dangerous student
Old 08-28-2019, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

NO teacher should have to work in obvious danger of being assaulted. Now that this student has actually hit you in the stomach and landed you in the hospital, have you considered contacting a lawyer? I would.
Your work situation is a serious threat to your good health. This "student" sounds completely out of control and DANGEROUS. And evidently you have zero support from either his parent or your admin.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-28-2019, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm wishing you and your baby the very best! I've got a feeling they'll do something about him now, for fear of a lawsuit by you. Even a 1:1 aide is not enough. He could still lash out at you or the other kids at any moment. Make sure all your requests for help are documented. Also, I would try to get a medical leave which does not count against your contracted maternity leave time.

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 08-28-2019, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with Jov. Donít go back until the baby is born, donít take anymore chances with yourself and the baby
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I do not mean to alarm you BUT I am going to let you know that if they try to act like this isnt a big deal you need to hire a lawyer AND get medical leave now.

A teacher in my district was hit in the stomach by a violent student while pregnant years ago. She lost her baby. This is a possibility in this type of unsafe environment. Do not take any chances.

cutecat

Old 08-29-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Please take care of you and your baby. You should not have to put up with this. If I were you, I would talk immediately to my administrator, union rep, and also discuss these issues with your doctor. This situation is NOT OK and should not be tolerated.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote