Help

Substitute Teachers

Has anyone started subbing yet?

>

subasaurus

Has anyone started subbing yet?
Old 08-29-2019, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school year doesn't technically begin until Sept 4th or so.

When does yours start?

I am NOT prepared to go back. Summer really throws me off my game! I feel like I've forgotten how to substitute teach. Lol.

Let me know you're all hanging in there. Any interesting stories good or bad.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Yes— sort of
Old 08-29-2019, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I live for summer, but one of my districts went back early August so I took two days just to stay “active” with them. Another district started yesterday and my third one starts next week— I am choosing not to return to work until the 9th.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Back on the hamster wheel
Old 08-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Truth be told, I was getting antsy and bored, so I was ready to go back to work——but I have to remind myself of that when my alarm goes off at 5:30 a.m.

This is the third week of school, and I started subbing on the third day of school. A couple of years ago, I was back on day 2. My goal is to be asked to sub on day 1, but only at one of my regular schools.

ETA: No interesting stories yet, but give the kids some time. It usually doesn’t take long.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 08-29-2019, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

School started on the 21st. I was ready to go back even though I hate getting up so early. I had a half day on the 2nd day of school and 4 days this week, surprisingly. I have had so many requests in the last week that I already have 50 scheduled job for the school year. It's been crazy. Only one crazy day of special ed 1st and 2nd graders; thank goodness for those aides! No interesting stories yet because the kids have been on their best behavior for the first week or so of school.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

School started yesterday...
Old 08-29-2019, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and I subbed for the first time today. It was good to get back at it!

BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-29-2019, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I’ve been subbing since the first day of school. Due to construction my districts are staggered over a two week period. My first day back was August 22nd for a late hire teacher; I’ve worked everyday since.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-29-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have had a few subs in the building so far. (We are on week four.)
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Soon
Old 08-29-2019, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Scheduled to work the first day and the last day of the first week so far, but I have a feeling it won't be long until the entire month of September is filled up. I only work in one district, but there is a major sub shortage here.
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 08-29-2019, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Started last week. I've already gotten booked with a long term assignment, starting today ! I was really ready to get back to work, but this came on fast!
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@sublime
Old 08-30-2019, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow, sounds like you have your hands full already. Nice! Schools must like your style

Good luck!

subasaurus

@subman
Old 08-30-2019, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow, a lot of you replying start so early. Hope you guys have A.C.

Great to hear you're working a full schedule already.

Wishing you good luck.

subasaurus

@luv2teach
Old 08-30-2019, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Great! You got this.

subasaurus

@mooba
Old 08-30-2019, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I too was getting bored. I was bored right around early August after I quit my summer job

Lakeside

sub start dates
Old 08-30-2019, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Neither of my districts start until next week, but I expect the jobs to ramp up slowly.

I have randomly checked the system a couple of times to see if there were things posted ahead, but I haven't booked anything yet.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

@subasaurus
Old 08-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yes, this is Texas and we do have a/c, thank goodness. The bad part is that we started so dang early that the heat index has been way too high to take the kids out for recess on many, many days. I don’t have to explain to this group the ramifications of indoor recess. At least September and cooler temps are just around the corner.

YayaSub

Old 08-30-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We started August 1. Four days into the year, a teacher had to have major semi-emergency surgery. She is still in the hospital. I have subbed there every day since. However, next week and going forward, I'm not going to sub every day--maybe 3-4 days per week. I have finally gotten semi-comfortable with the lessons and technology, and most of the kids are great. However, my team teachers essentially ignore me all day. They gather during passing periods, but they rarely check on me or offer to help. Often days go by without any interaction. This class is not familiar material to me. I am learning material a few minutes before teaching it to the kids, and I don't really have much to add to what we read together. The teacher who teaches my subject on a different team tries to share his resources with me and he has to publish their agenda and assignments. But it is usually not ready when the kids start coming in, and we really need more structure. I think the extra work is getting to him. He has to enter all of our grades, etc., and I feel like I get the "bum's rush" from him lately when I really need his help.

I know this is basically a thankless job, but I usually enjoy subbing. What I am doing is so much more than a typical subbing day, and the low pay, daily obligation to work, and lack of support are wearing me down. They just took a test today and their scores were poor, so that is adding to my discouragement. Hopefully taking some days off will help, but I kind of worry that it will just create more work and chaos when they have other subs coming in.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

@Yaya
Old 08-30-2019, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

It stinks that the teachers on your team are freezing you out instead of being supportive. I’ve never understood that kind of attitude, but I have experienced being a recipient of it.

It sounds like the teacher on the other team is trying to help, but may be getting overwhelmed w/ the extra work. No fault of yours, just the way it is, but I can see how he might be getting frustrated.

Maybe you two could meet briefly after school, so you could get a heads up on what’s coming the next day? I’ve also found that some home-baked treats (cookies? brownies?) along with a “thank you so much” really go a long way.

Are you going to be subbing in the same class, but just cutting back to a few days a week? Seems like it would be a lot easier to stick it out w/ the same class every day instead of going back and forth, but given the situation, it may not be worth it to you.

I hope things improve for you, Yaya. Subbing isn’t easy, even in the best of situations.

elepen

Old 08-31-2019, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Started subbing the second week of school for an emotional handicapped k-1
With a para 7 students. It was a piece of cake after that long term subbing
Subbed in there one more time. I also have several jobs lined up and a 3 day in second grade

Yaya sending you hugs. That is so hard working like that and have been there and done that
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 08-31-2019, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
Wow, a lot of you replying start so early. Hope you guys have A.C.
Sadly not. My car AC went out on me the first day of school (right when the triple digit temps hit here).

Sure glad the schools have AC.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-01-2019, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

One of the P's I know texted me on the SECOND DAY of school to see if I was available to sub (I was not), but I went to sub on the 4th day of (same) school and found out 6 teachers & Paras had called in.
We have such a huge shortage of teachers and subs.
Another sub told me she pretty much works every single day at the same school. She doesn't even wait to be called; the P told her to just come in every day and they'll stick her somewhere because somebody is always out!
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

SubHuman

Old 09-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

School started last week and there have been so few jobs posted online that I may call the high school tomorrow and ask if they are using some kind of alternate system this year. I am aware of one change that was made but it shouldn't have reduced the number of jobs I am seeing to nearly zero.
SubHuman is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@subhuman
Old 09-03-2019, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm not seeing much on my end so far either. Weird. Usually will see at least a few "gen ed" jobs to start off the year. I only see a few aide jobs.

I wonder if schools are being stricter about teacher call-offs the first few weeks. Or maybe they're scheduling less meetings.

I'm probably very wrong, but it feels like the Twilight Zone this year so far.

Fractured

Old 09-03-2019, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Most schools start today. Larger district I am in started last week but there really is never that much the first month. I figure the early stuff goes to preferred subs. I am still interviewing for full time work, but I think I may have to sub yet again.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 09-03-2019, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

A couple of years ago I could only see aide jobs for the first month of school. I would get phone calls from someone begging me to help, when I had never seen that job posted. A secretary finally investigated and found that when our central office updated my sub license renewal, they listed me as only "qualified" for aide jobs. It was a matter of checking a few more boxes, and then all the jobs reappeared. Might be worth checking if there's a chance this could be the case for you
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I'm seeing more than just aide jobs, but the Gen Ed jobs are being accepted a few minutes after they're visible. Wonder if it's just a slow start to the year.

Most districts where I live started their school year just yesterday.