Substitute Teachers

Blocked

>

Biskit2

Biskit2

Blocked
Old 09-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So a year ago I got tons of jobs at a certain elementary school. I had about 5 teachers who would personally text me. I bent over backwards if a teacher needed me. I would come in on a minute's notice. Then, all of a sudden, nothing. I had one teacher request me and then cancel. I have never been asked back. I have NO idea what I did or did not do. Now here is my question...should I try to find out what happened or let it go? I have been going over in my mind "the last days". The only thing I can think of where I may have overstepped is I noticed a letter going home to a student's parent about reoccurring head lice. I put in a sticky note with a natural remedy. I figured if it was on going, a lot of pesticide was being used so I offered a safe alternative.

MaineSub

Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As for trying to find out what happened... that's really up to you. It may be very difficult to get an "official" answer... districts know that they create liability for themselves if they explain their decision regarding blocking a sub. If you are asking for opinions about your sticky note, in mine, that was overstepping on several accounts and may well have triggered you being blocked.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-03-2019, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would have skipped the natural remedy sticky note; it may of come back to bite you.

The other day I was to send home fund raiser envelopes, I stopped in the office while the students were at recess and asked if the envelopes were to go home that day since they weren’t specifically mentioned in the lesson plans. I’ve also gotten in trouble for not sending home similar materials under the same set of circumstances (not mentioned in the lesson plans).

You could ask the school why you are not getting jobs like you used to. I would not tell them about the sticky note. Just say “I’m curious as to why I’m not getting jobs at your school?” It could be something unrelated like the superintendent’s wife is getting all the jobs because their children attend the school (had it happen to me) or it could of been your note.

How they say what they say is also important; if they are hesitant or seem to be making it up on the spot or say something like “we decided to go with other subs this year.” Then you know they don’t want to tell you.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Old 09-03-2019, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What makes you think that you're blocked, did they send you an email saying you were blocked?
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubHuman

Old 09-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would absolutely call the school and ask them if anything is wrong. It is early in the school year and they might have minimal needs at the moment. I actually just called the high school today to see if anything had changed because I was seeing no job postings on the online system. Supposedly, nothing changed, just few needs early in the school year.

SubHuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Smores18

Old 09-05-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I never was notified of being blocked. I just figured when no jobs came across from that school and I was not getting texts, I was blocked. I asked school secretary about it and she was just snarky about it and said,"We hired a building sub." I wanted to say,"Then why do you have a sign in the school yard saying hiring subs?". I just left without a word.
Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 09-06-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Despite that secretary's nasty attitude, it looks like you got your answer. Many elementary schools like to hire regular "building subs" since those jobs are harder to fill. I doubt you were actually blocked from that school, especially if the school still shows up on the district school list in your Frontline or AESOP account. Once the school year gets rolling more, I am sure you will still see some jobs there, especially once the workshops and parent conferences begin.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote