Help

The VENT

So Frustrated - and a Question

>

PeaceLoveRun

So Frustrated - and a Question
Old 09-03-2019, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm new to a school and district. I've taught Kindergarten for 4 years, this is my 5th, and have taught overall for almost 20. First I was made to attend a mandatory training for new to the district teachers on day 12 of school. This training was nothing that I did not learn 20 years ago in my teacher training. All the teachers there were fresh out of school and entering their first classroom. So today, after the holiday and my forced training, I was scrambling to catch up all day. I even went to work early and still couldn't catch up all day. Finally, when the kids were finally gone, I thought I could get caught up. I get a text message from my team leader that says I need to meet with her for just a few minutes regarding bus schedule. So I pop by her room only to be told to get my computer. After spending about 20 minutes on bus routes, she then says oh, we have to figure out our standards to display on our walls. So then we spend another 30 minutes on that. There goes all my after school time. This happens every day!!! In all my years of teaching I've never had a team so connected at the hip! I am so frustrated and flustered and feeling unorganized because I just don't have time to get organized. I am running every second. I don't even have time to eat lunch. I was told having a team would make it impossible to fail, but personally I have never felt more lost in all my years of teaching!

Okay, on to my question: So we are required to do guided reading groups and a myriad of testing. Right now, I am trying to train them to do rotations but we have to do them after lunch. They are so crazy after lunch, then I am expected to leave them to their own devices at their centers while I pull one child at a time back to test. I model the center activity, I make them tell me what they are doing. I've tried rewards, and clipping down. I have the doorbell. I use the noise meter on Class Dojo (they are noisier to make it red, even if I clip them down.) How in the world am I supposed to train these kids on the proper use of the centers activities when I am busy testing? Today, I gave them a sight word page and none of them finished it and only a couple of them came remotely close to what they were supposed to do, even though I modeled it for them and taped it to their table. Play centers are not acceptable, they all have to be academic. I give them ABC puzzles and most of the pieces are on the floor. I give them lacing letters, and they tie the laces to the letters and lasso them around the room. I give them dice and white boards so they can write their numbers, and they draw two handed scribbles all over the whiteboards. I give them linking cubes and they make guns and chase each other around the room. Personally, I think it's too early for centers, especially without being able to give them my attention during rotations but I have to keep up the rigor. What am I supposed to do? I feel like this is setting the stage for a very chaotic year!

PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is always difficult to start a new school. You need to learn how this school flows. I think they have a team set up to help you learn their routines. Let the team know that you can work with them at certain times/days.

You are an experienced Kindergarten teacher. Set up your room the way you want, teach routines the best way you can, and test the way you see fit. In other words, close your door and do your best.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 09-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am guessing that you do not have an instructional assistant. Could you possibly have them all do the same center activity at their tables just to train them on what it should look and sound like? Then give them a few extra minutes of recess or play a game with them as a reward? It seems hard to me to train them properly on centers when you are trying to test them because you really want to take the time to train them to handle centers effectively from the start. Is there a way that you have done this in the past that worked for you? I agree to do this the way that works for you. I also agree that you need to let the team leader know when you can meet so that it is not happening every afternoon. I had a Co-worker who locked her door and turned off the lights so she could work without interruptions.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

An Aide
Old 09-03-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have an instructional assistant, unfortunately. That's how I had done it in the past. And I did more of a free flow type center and allowed a lot more play than is being allowed here. I had the kids do their seatwork then go to their free flow center. I can't do it that way at this school. We have to do everything exactly the same as the other teachers and my lead is a little bit of a control freak!

I like the idea of turning off the lights and closing the door! Today, when she threw out there that we needed to discuss standards, I asked, today? I really have so much to get caught up on!! She said, well we have to do it today, which is frustrating because that was the first I had heard about it!
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote