The VENT

Use of sanitizing wipes in the ckassroom

>

EyeSeeTwo

Use of sanitizing wipes in the ckassroom
Old 09-03-2019, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Not exactly a vent, but a concern.

In my former school district we teachers were given the edict, that under no circumstances were we to use sanitizing wipes in the classroom due to over the counter wipes being toxic. We were given a spray bottle to be used after the end of the school day. They contents were a small amount of bleach with the rest of the bottle of water.

We could use micro fiber clothes with hot soapy water to wash desk tops, counters, door knobs.

We were provided blood born pathogen kits if there was a nose bleed, vomit, or toileting accident.

My new school is tiny.

The aide has had the task to “sanitize” the desks and surfaces in the past. She wears gloves. The former teacher had her do this daily, while the teacher took the class outside for PE for the last half hour of the day.

I do PE in the morning, when it is not 105 degrees.

The aide was gone for the first week of school due to a medical issue.

Now she is back, and I literately got ill smelling the sanitizing wipes. I told I had been wiping the desks with hot water. She acted like I was a crazy loon and was pretty upset about that.

She said, “Well you used the wipes before school started.” I replied, “The classroom was filthy.” Plus the students were not there, and the door was open for ventilation!

She did not agree, told the custodian who got a tad uptight saying that bleach rules. By the way they are relatives.

Does anyone have an idea on where I can find the health and safety regs for California schools?

I want to bring this up with admin and have the information precise and correct.

I have read that over use of antibacterial sanitizers is harmful, and I do not want to rock the boat, but still do not want to smell the stench of the sanitizing wipes.

Thank you for your ideas and help.

EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím in California, and we were told this year that we cannot use sanitizing wipes or anything else while students are in the room. Iím still waiting on if I can use baby wipes that are 99.9% water. Iím in a portable with no access to water.

I have no idea how Iím supposed to clean up messes without some cleaner. Kids sneeze and have dirty hands!
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Hand sanitizer
Old 09-04-2019, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had to watch a video before the start of the school year regarding all,kinds of health and safety. The hand sanitizer/wipes section was about 10 seconds long.

Yes, in California weíre no longer allowed to use them while children are present, and they are not allowed to use them either. They are considered in the same vein as insecticides.

Try looking at an OSHA website, or CA ed. code. Not sure where it is written out.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 09-04-2019, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Before sanitizing wipes were made, we used soapy water to clean everything. There's too much emphasis on 'sanitizing' today instead of just cleaning. I don't use anti-bacterial soap either, and I rarely get sick.

I've started making my own 'wipes'. I cut a roll of paper towels in half and put them in an empty plastic container. I don't make my own solution - just pour window cleaner in with it. They're good for quick clean-ups and don't leave a film.

Last edited by dutchgirl; 09-04-2019 at 01:26 PM..
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Wipes
Old 09-04-2019, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lots of people like wipes because they are easier than getting a bucket or water and having cloths to wash.
Lots of good info here:
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CCD...guidelines.pdf

Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Yes, in California weíre no longer allowed to use them while children are present, and they are not allowed to use them either.
I have not heard this and I'm in CA. Off to look at ed code!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 09-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all for chiming in! If I find the ed code I will post it here. The admin will ask about this with the county district school nurse as well.

kahluablast

Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We use wipes, and our parents provide them.

I donít use them daily. Once a week, and kids used them. I need a crew to help me now...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

News to me
Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We also use wipes. They are on our school supply list. I just had a student bring in a pack of 4 today! I let the kids use them to clean their desks after messy art projects and I use them. This is the first I have heard that they are banned in places. I donít use antibacterial soap. I do have hand sanitizer out because the parents provide it too. I donít push that though because it is so harsh on the skin. I donít really feel it does anything but smear the dirt around with a bunch of alcohol. I like soap and water because it gets the dirt off.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 09-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Update.

The county nurse came by school today. She and admin were not able to locate specific ed code regarding the use of sanitizing wipes in the Classroom...but said they should not be used when students are in the room.

My para was pulled for the day to cook and do kitchen duties.

So I washed all the desks with hot soapy water, rinsed them then they air dried as well as her group work table. Then I put the chairs up. I did use a single sanitizing wipe on her table and a few for the door knobs. She came in and sniffed the air and said, ďThank you!Ē.

jov

Always used them
Old 09-06-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also never heard anything about using or not using the wipes. Parents sent them in without me even asking for a donation. The kids wiped down their own desks and our group tables every Friday... every day during cold and flu season. Soap and water would have been tough. Our only sinks are up or down flights of stairs.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Cleaning
Old 09-09-2019, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have my kinders clean their desks at the end of each day using microfibre cloths and warm water. I use a non-toxic spray on days when we have painted or used a lot of glue, or if anyone is sick, but otherwise water by itself is fine.

I am a big believer in getting kids to clean up their own work space, so it's important to me to have non-toxic supplies that are safe for them to use. I would never get my aide to do it, but it is your right to do so. Wiping the desks with hot soapy water is fine!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 09-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you fir your ideas and replies?