Help

Substitute Teachers

More pay for long term jobs?

>

Shadygap

More pay for long term jobs?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you get paid for long term job? If you are a certified teacher?
I read the thread about the day to day sub pay. Here in PA most subs are certified teachers. The only ones that aren't are those with college degrees and took training through the IU to get certified as guest teachers to substitute.
Regular sub pay in a few of lowest rural areas is $85 a day. Then it goes up from there depending the wealth of the district. You can get plenty of work. Big shortage of subs. I'm a retired teacher in a rural area. One district pays $175 a day for a long term sub job because you are the actual teacher doing everything but a couple of the districts still just pay the same $85 for doing all the work - lesson planning, grading tests, homework etc and they wonder why they can't get anyone? What about your area? For certified teachers?

Shadygap is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-06-2019, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

185 is close to what one district pays for certified here. Another is 200, but you earn it. If you do like 10 days at the same job you get a pathetic 20 dollar increase. I can’t believe the pay is so low some places. One district pays 140 and I just don’t bother.

Last edited by Fractured; 09-06-2019 at 06:53 PM..
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-06-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our long term pay goes up + one hour a day after 5 days of a long term sub. Anywhere from 10 to 18 an hour. 10 for EA, 15 for subs with bachelor's, and 18 for retired teachers.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Old 09-06-2019, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

$90 a day for the first 15 days, then $125 a day retroactive to day one. If you call in sick, it reverts back. Iíve been told they will accept a doctorís note, though.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-06-2019, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

130/day for daily subs
180/day for LT subs

(and long term is considered 15 days or more in the same position/classroom)

And if that LT job ends and you go back to daily subbing, you'll still get 180/day.

Start the year with a long term gig and then do regular subbing rest of the year, and you're golden

Or just work a long term job the entire year and you'll make as much as a first year teacher. And due to our shortage, many subs do fill a vacancy for the entire school year

BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Shadygap
Old 09-07-2019, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Where are you in PA? I make $90/day in rural districts. One district pays $100/day, but those are hard to get jobs. Around here, subs are easy to get. At least when jobs pop up, someone always beats me to them!
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 09-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

$90 a day if you have a BA
After 20 days it becomes $108 retroactive
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm in six districts, most will try to get you to do a LTS assignment at the daily sub rate. Only one starts off at the first step rate depending on your education level. This is why I turn down most LTS jobs, just not worth it financially.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 09-15-2019, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Same here as SubMan. No difference in pay rate between the per diem sub just filling a spot versus the certified teacher doing a long term position with all the responsibilities of a full time well paid classroom teacher but none of the benefits. Honestly, this is how a lot of local districts here will get out of hiring a full time classroom teacher for most of the year so they can "save money" at some poor hardworking aspiring teacher's expense. The naive sub often is mistaken that it will lead to a position when indeed it just leads to nothing but being treated like any other "lowly sub" (yes that is indeed how we are looked upon) in the district only to be cut at the end of the school year to make room for the next gullible soul. Saw this happen many times in the districts I have worked and it disgusts me to no end. Recently in one of the districts I work, we had two "new hire" teachers start working to fill a job when the school never posted a link for the positions for candidates to apply. So who got these positions you might ask? Well, the daughter of a school board member and the niece of an administrator, of course! Districts here have no problem keeping subs down where they are, even if they are wonderful teachers and do a great job. It's much easier to save money and not pay benefits if they can get the same degree of work out of a sub as they would from a contracted teacher with health insurance and other benefits they would have to pay.
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my district, after the first 12 days, the long term sub receives an additional $50 per day.

luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote