How to build a relationship with students without enabling? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Classroom Management

How to build a relationship with students without enabling?

>

Newb!eTe@chr

Newb!eTe@chr

How to build a relationship with students without enabling?
Old 09-08-2019, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been teaching 1st grade for a couple of years. Last year I had some students with emotional and behavior issues that stemmed from tough home lives, and everything I read and the advice I got from other teachers was to focus on building a healthy, trusting teacher-student relationship with them. I attempted this with good intention, but midway through the year I felt like it backfired and it seemed like I was enabling their behaviors more than anything else. This year, I have another student with a difficult home life who is often withdrawn and sits in the corner refusing to participate. Not wanting to repeat last year, I have been more firm with him. It is effective only sometimes, and I can tell he's skeptical of me being just another adult in his life who will blow him off. Again, some other staff have suggested that he is a student with whom forming a relationship is very important. How do I balance the two so that I'm neither the uncaring teacher who only demands compliance nor the warm and fuzzy teacher that students lack respect for? I want my students to feel safe and cared for, but also want to motivate them to participate.

Mshope

Smart Classroom Management
Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

https://www.smartclassroommanagement...ging-students/

I really found Michael Linton's approach helpful. I've had very troubled students and I also found that treating them differently does not always help them. Now I try to treat them like everyone else and encourage them to be "friends" with their peers, not me. Check out the site, it helped me get this issue in perspective.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote