Substitute Teachers

How would you handle this situation

>

snazzyjazzy

snazzyjazzy

How would you handle this situation
Old 09-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

2 years ago, I had a job lined up for the 2017-2018 school year but a hurricane flooded the area and the school wasn't able to open. I started subbing in late Sept for one district and in late Nov. for another district. I loved the first district and wanted to teach there but didn't get an interview. I got a job teaching for the 2018-2019 school year in the 2nd district. I left after 6 weeks due to unsafe working conditions. The principal told me I could sub in other districts (just not hers) and I was told the same thing by my association (my state has very weak unions). I returned to subbing for the 1st district and worked almost everyday. I was told that I would not receive sanctions for breaking my contract by the principal. This school year is about 4 weeks in and I already have 40 jobs lined up. Several teachers told me to apply for 2 open positions. I filled out my application and went to upload my certication and noticed that I received sanctions on my teaching license. I love this district and love going to work every day. The district does not require certification to sub but there is a pay difference (about $20 per day) for certified vs. noncertified subs. I really can't afford the pay cut but don't want to be dishonest. Would you leave subbing, report to human resources about the sanctions, say nothing, or do something else?

mooba1

Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Surely the P would’ve known you’d get dinged for breaking contract, but what’s done is done. Obviously HR in your preferred district is unaware of the sanctions, so my suggestion is to take the high road and disclose your situation. See what steps, if any, you can take towards getting the sanctions removed. If you want to eventually be hired full time by this district, you don’t want them to find out that you intentionally hid the fact you were sanctioned.

If at all possible, stick with subbing. Sure, it stinks that you’ll lose some pay, but consider it a very tough lesson learned. Can you make it work at all? It sounds like you’re very popular in this district.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You should be honest, they would probably figure it out sooner or later by your first paycheck. They could also come after you for overpaid wages and they would certainly fire you.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote