Help

Retired Teachers

Is it too early?

>

LaFish

Is it too early?
Old 09-09-2019, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I admit that I was worried about life after retirement. I thought I would miss it. Shhh! I don't!

I have been busy with other things. I have visited with old friends, did a bit of small projects around the house, went on a nice week long vacation with hubby, and even scheduled morning exercise classes. I made appointments in the middle of the week, shopped without crowds, tried new recipes (some good and some not so great) and even read books!

Of course, I have only been retired since June. I thought that if I missed it too much that I could go back and sub. But I don't miss it. Is it too early? I really am happy about my decision. Tell me more about life in retirement.

LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

You are off to a good start
Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations! It is wonderful that you are already embracing retirement.

I thought I might have have trouble getting used to the retired lifestyle. But so far I love it completely. No wish to go back to the classroom. No desire to sub or work a part time job.

I love being able to stay up till the wee hours of the morning and sleep in the next day. I have always been a night owl but had to observe early to bed and early to rise while teaching. My new schedule feels so much more comfortable and it is great not waking up to an alarm clock going off.

I started taking art classes after I retired and have become a daily crafter/artist. I love creating! Instead of a she shed I have a she room where I do my arts and crafts. My she room is a little piece of heaven for me.

I retired in 2016 and I am not bored yet.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Your post makes me happy!
Old 09-09-2019, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am starting my second year of retirement. I think you sum it up very well when you say that you are busy with other things. As teachers, we are so busy being with our classes and all the related work that other things get put on the back burner. Now, it's your time!

For me, I love traveling in the fall or spring. I recently was able to take advantage of an air sale because a new airline was coming into our airport and had very cheap fares. You had to fly on a Tuesday or Wednesday to get the cheapest fares, and the window of when you could use the fare was limited. Key West in December? Yes please!

i love being able to go to the gym during the day. When I was teaching, I was limited to the 6:30 P.M. classes, and it was tiring to drag myself there after I had been home for awhile. Now, I can take a class at 5:45 A.M. and go back to bed if I want!

I love being able to make appointments during the day. I can see the doctor at any time and not have to request an appointment after 4:00, or have to write plans for a sick day.

I have lunch with a group of retired teachers once a month and see other retired teachers periodically. I joined my union's branch for retired teachers and they have quarterly luncheons on different topics. They just had one on elderlaw and wills, and I was able to get mine done, at a time that was convenient for me during the day, of course!

I have a friend who volunteers at a charity gift shop and another friend who goes to our town's senior center and does groups sponsored by the library. I have not needed or wanted to lock myself into a schedule, but some retirees I know need need and want that.

I also go to movies during the day. I don't have to deal with weekend crowds if I don't want to.

I don't think it is too early not to miss work at all. There will always be elements of it I'll miss--the colleagues, many of the students and their families, and teaching materials like children's literature. I do not miss the observations, the SGOs we had to write and the data we had to collect to support them, the standardized testing, the coaching, my principal, coaches and other administrators constantly marching around, and the writing of lesson plans. I also do not miss the Sunday night anxiety I would feel and not having time to enjoy myself without planning for how I was going to get everything done. I feel very blessed in retirement. I wish you a wonderful retirement as well! Hopefully, it will be a terrific chapter in your life.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 09-09-2019, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with what NJ Teacher said. I retired June of 2012. I have to say that I don't miss work at all. In fact, there are days that go by where I never even think about teaching.

I stay busy doing whatever I want to do. DH is dappling in the hay business, so some days are more work than fun for me. I support him with helping him hook up his equipment, bringing him cold water, going to town for parts, etc. Thankfully, he doesn't do this all year!

For me, the enjoyment of retirement comes from being prepared financially. Thankfully, DH planned well for us, and "fingers crossed" we are sitting pretty.

Retirement gets better, one day at a time.
Catdog12 is online now   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Retirement life
Old 09-09-2019, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since the first day of school on August 14 I have: enjoyed a trip to Denver to see the western grands while mom and dad got ready for school, enjoyed Cubs game in person, had a morning hair appointment, did maintenance in the flower garden several times, went to the beach midweek, babysat the grandson that lives closer to us, took a fall tour of a garden center to see their chrysanthemum operation, completed a quilt for Christmas, sewed 2 journal covers for composition books that were gifted, read several books, and walk for exercise most mornings.

On the calendar for the next 2 weeks: breakfast with retired teachers from my first job, a day trip with another retiree to shop for more quilting fabric, a lunchtime concert given by local thespians, and then off to LA to enjoy a Road Scholar tour of some national parks.

Retirement can be very fulfilling in many ways. Enjoy yours, LaFish

liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I have not needed or wanted to lock myself into a schedule..
I agree with NJ Teacher. I used to be Mme Schedule and now Iím Mme Flexible. I love the freedom. I walk daily, take classes, work with a personal trainer, read, have plenty of visitors because they like where I live, decorate, socialize.... This truly is the life.
Quote:
...the enjoyment of retirement comes from being prepared financially.
I wholeheartedly agree with Catdog! I absolutely love being able, for the first time in my life, to spend freely. I enjoy living well, helping my kids occasionally, buying lots of clothes for my grandson, and contributing to those in need. I will always be frugal (after all, thatís how I got here), but itís so much fun to NOT save and to be generous with others.

Iíve been retired over 3 years and am positively gleeful every single day. What a blessing this life is!

Iím glad youíre enjoying your retirement, too.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote