Help

Retired Teachers

Purging

>

Cat woman

Purging
Old 09-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I completely retired this year after initially retiring and then working part time for 4 years. When I came home in June I piled all my “stuff” in a corner in the basement promising myself I would go through it by the end of June. Well, that deadline passed right by !. So now I have a new system— my exercise equipment is in the basement so I exercise a little and clean a little, then exercise and clean, etc. I am making some good progress and feel no sadness in cleaning out binders filled with years of being super organized with materials for teaching, collecting data, conferring, etc. I thought initially it would be difficult to part with those things, but as I toss them into recycling I say to myself, “I am never going to need this again!”

What I have also discovered is I have enough post it’s, binders, and a whole array of binder dividers and sheet protectors to survive an apocalypse . I am using some to organize my sewing materials but I think I can donate some, too.

So to answer the most recent posts about accepting and enjoying retirement I am all in! I am on the sub list, but may not ever respond to any requests. I really don’t think I want to deal with any of the BS.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I hear you...
Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The last couple of years since I retired, I donated quite a few school supplies I had to different school supply drives in my area. I think I am finally done with that, although do have a lot of notecards and pads.

Enjoy your retirement. It truly is wonderful.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

School Leftovers
Old 09-09-2019, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I came home with a bunch of office supplies, too, and haven’t regretted it at all!

Binders for my recipes and directions to basket weaving projects. The sheet protectors are for the same. Finally enough file folders, tape, and paper clips. (After using my classroom budget for educational materials, I always ended up buying my own office supplies. )
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Purging
Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I retired in June. All through the year I got rid of originals for back to school, Halloween, Election Day, thanksgiving, etc.

Holiday/seasonal books went to teachers lounge and most were taken.

Last month of school I invited all the staff in to look through and take my read aloud books (hundreds). Teacher taking my class got most but she had lots of her own too.

Last week of school I gave away stuffed animals, posters to my class.
Ended up with every single thing donated to colleagues or thrown out. I went home with 2 bags of my personal stuff and a cleaned out classroom. Felt great!

At home, I emptied two file cabinets of first grade work and one large bookcase. All of it is gone. Several trips to recycling center for paper disposal. Kept a few empty binders, lots of sheet protectors, office supplies. Will use for recipes, holiday info, quilting, etc

My new job is self care for me. Last six years of working - in summers I had bilateral knee replacements, gall bladder/pancreatitis, breast cancer/radiation. Now I am walking at least a mile, sometimes two, back in physical therapy.

Purging my teaching things was good for me. Know I will never go back to it, even though I truly loved my work.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

That's a good system!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whatever it takes, it sounds like you're getting the job done and that's what counts!

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Stuff left behind...
Old 09-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Always best to donate to those coming up. Taking everything home just adds more junk to purge at home! Greedy too.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Purging is good for the soul.

I brought home one box and finally cleaned it out the other day. I kept a few of my favorite books and hope to find someone who will give them a good home.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I retired the first time I did give away tons of stuff— my classroom library went to several new teachers, bulletin board sets, borders, and all sorts of goodies were taken to grade level meetings and gladly taken by my colleagues. Some of my teacher friends were so excited to get my things because they knew I had the best stuff .

I did toss units as I completed them.

A lot of what I brought home were things I accumulated with my four year part time gig—things that were from a more specialized area so I am tossing those things and just coming to realize how much I have in the office supply area. I hope I didn’t sound greedy in keeping things I purchased and will find a use for or further donate.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote