Help

The VENT

Letter to a parent

>

MissAmanda

Letter to a parent
Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What I really wanted to write to a parent today.(Names changed to protect the innocent and not so innocent!)

Lazy Parent,
Sara has been doing much better since you started sending her to school daily. I am glad to hear that you have been able to get over being lonely during the day and let your child go to school. Maybe it was the call from the truency officer that scared you into sending her or maybe it was her constant nagging about wanting to go to school. I am glad that we are getting somewhere with this battle.

Also, it would be really great if you would show some interest in Sara's, or any of your other children's, education. You have not shown up for any meeting this year. When you have to sign your child out of school you rush in and rush out so that no one can stop to talk to you. You request another conference to our face and then don't show up. I am glad that I didn't schedule a conference at a time what I wouldn't normally be at school. I thought maybe today's meeting would be different, considering you sent back the invitation and said you would come, and it is also about your youngest child's IEP.

Your child's frustrated teacher.

MissAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote

me41

Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bet if you really sent it she would not even bother to read it, it would get thrown away with the rest of the papers.

I understand where you are coming from... Some people are good at making babies but don't realize that is more to parenting than making 'um.
me41 is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Every teacher has wanted to write that letter. I have taught so many kids that I wanted to just take home and keep. Why is it it always seems to be the kids that struggle academically that have dead beat parents?
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What I wanted to write last week:

Dear Enabling Parent,

The only time your child cries is at the door when you drop her off. The tears stop like a faucet by the time you reach the stairs. She does not cry for the rest of the day. She is not suffering from stress, she is suffering from I'm-in-charge-at-home-why-not-here?, a common ailment from children who have been completely over indulged. YOu're right, it IS a concern that your child has no friends. Several children have tried to befriend her but she sits like a lump and stares at them. When I talk to her about being friendly with the other children and playing with them, she stares at me or cries.

She is unable to do the 30 minute Daily Physical Activity because she is so obese. You might find that she loses some of her lard if you send food other than white bread and butter for her lunch. What do you mean, "she won't eat it." Who is in charge at your house? She also seems a little tired and starts yawning before 9:30 am. What do you mean "she won't go to bed when I tell her." Who is in charge at your house?

Your child's frustrated teacher.

Note: The enabling mom has now taken her out of my class and put her in private school. I wish I were more upset but mostly I'm relieved.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Why is it it always seems to be the kids that struggle academically that have dead beat parents?
Having dead dead parents is part of the reason they struggle academically. Why care about education when it's not valued whatsoever in the home?

LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

harley

MissAmanda
Old 01-16-2010, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I could have written that letter too! The parent now wants me to send her back copies of the written excuses for absences - NOT! Then there was the issue with the $.10 ring - I took it away because the child was playing with it during one of her infrequent days at school. I put it on my desk and the next thing I knew the child's little friend had it. I took it again and this time it went inside my desk. I told the student it would not be returned until June.
Mom does not bother to answer anything about academics but this got her steamed. She INSISTED that I return that ring immediately and I better send it home that afternoon. I asked the social worker if we could send it with her and the truant officer when they make their visit. Ring is still in my desk, by the way, and my wonderful P has refused to allow Mom entrance to my room..
Still the child suffers.... A repeater who needs every minute they can get.......
harley is offline   Reply With Quote