The VENT

Squeeze 30 more minutes in!

>

LucyGoosy

LucyGoosy

Squeeze 30 more minutes in!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We were just told that our grade level will need to remediate and enrich our students three times a week for thirty minutes. We will split into groups for this. Of course, since this is RTI, the time can't be in our reading block. What do they want us to cut? Do they think we wave a magic wand and come up with thirty more minutes in the day? GRRRR!

kahluablast

Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yep, we've been doing that for several years now. We took time that might have been social studies, science or writing time and use it. We do a lot of those activities in that time, so it is working nicely. We only have 2-3 teachers per grade level, so it doesn't leave us much room. We have used 1 teacher for phonics remediation, 1 for math and the other takes a large group and does other activities. Much of it was around robust vocabulary, sometimes a science film, and sometimes a social studies or science enrichment. Good luck working it out. SOmething has to go. Last year we did not work together so I did it myself. Had to change my whole phonics routine so I could use that time to remediate. WOrked out well in the end, but coming up with something to keep everyone busy and independent was work.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

sapphire43

Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I totally understand that "some things have to go" but I have to say... as a middle school social studies teacher, I HATE that it is core subjects that are sacrificed! In Missouri, my subject is not tested, therefore, let's cut it! Science, math and English are tested, so they are never touched, but the elementary teachers tell me that sometimes they only do 20-30 minutes of SS each week. No wonder when the kids get to me they don't know diddley squat about geography! In a trivia contest recently the answer given for "Name three South American countries?" was Florida, Alabama and Georgia. I know, I know, something has to give, and no one will be happy. I just thought I'd VENT! :-)
sapphire43 is offline   Reply With Quote

aeiouteach

Couldn't agree more!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

RTI has adversely affected our Science and Soc. Studies times too.
We are trying to hit one hard a full week and the other the next week. We don't see any other way. What gets me is that good teachers have ALWAYS "RTI'ed!!!!!!! Meeting the individual needs of our students is what good teachers do! Remediation doesn't fit into a scheduled 30 minute a day RTI plan. It is an ongoing process all day long, every single day, whenever it is necessary. And the paperwork!! AAARRGGH!!!I know everyone is also overwhelmed with RTI documentation. Not only is core subject time being sacrificed, but so is family time. There is no way I can do the paper work at school.
If any of you find that magic wand, will you please share?
aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Karenssister

you are right on the mark!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

aeiouteach, I couldn't agree with you more. RTI has been done without its new name by teachers who didn't rob Peter to pay Paul. You said it perfectly. Pass the wand when you find it, please!

Karenssister is offline   Reply With Quote

sapphire43

Magic wand?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I've been beaten by that "wand!"
sapphire43 is offline   Reply With Quote