Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I'm Over It

>

ICrazyTeach

I'm Over It
Old 11-04-2019, 02:59 PM

I am so sick of feeding my family. I don't enjoy cooking anymore. The kids are picky. DH is picky. If DH is in charge we eat junk. I'm too freakin tired to do it. I'm sick of the same meals over and over. And we all hate doing dishes. So what are you eating this week? Inspire me, please!

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

meals
Old 11-04-2019, 03:09 PM

I remember those days!! Why don't you make a menu in advance for the week? Ask each kid to pick a night and a meal. The person who chose the meal is in charge of clean up. It sounds like a good plan, doesn't it? Well, in my next life I'll try it too.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Tonight it is red beans and rice.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 PM

I cook them in the crock pot all day!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

dinner
Old 11-04-2019, 03:17 PM

Our dinner tonight will be rice, beans and mushroom tacos (fresh corn tortillas) with pico de gallo and spicy salsa.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-04-2019, 03:32 PM

You have my sympathy. No wonder women never look surprised when I say that now that I live alone, I don’t cook anymore.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

It is difficult with picky eaters
Old 11-04-2019, 03:36 PM

Do they eat sandwiches? Serve with raw veggies. This would be fast and easy.

How about soup? Make it in the crock or instant pot.

What about roast chicken? Roast carrots and small potatoes with it. Then chicken quesadilla or chicken salad sandwiches the next day. Too many carbs in sandwich bread? Make sandwich wraps.

Cook two pounds of crumbled ground beef. Have spaghetti one night and tacos the next. Or taco salad. Serve with fresh fruit. The second night's dinner will go very fast.

Chef salad? Make boiled eggs for breakfast and cook a few extra for that night's dinner. You can purchase ham steaks that are pretty lean- 97% fat free. Or use turkey.

Breakfast for dinner?

cheese, fresh sliced fruit and a hearty whole wheat bread platter. All finger foods! How can the kids complain? Mom and dad might want a different cheese than the kids.

These are some of the easier things I make. Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-04-2019, 03:58 PM

I used to make a big roast on Sunday, and get several meals from it:::

-Pot roast with gravy, potatoes, carrots
—roast beef sandwiches with gravy, carrot & celery sticks
—roast beef hash

-roast chicken, stuffing, broccoli
—stirfy veggies and chicken on rice
—chicken pot pie
—chicken enchiladas

-roast pork, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts
—tacos filled with hash made from pork, sweet potatoes, and corn salsa
—Cubano sandwiches
—pork fried rice

I also prepped veggies on the weekend so it was easy to have a veggie or two on the side. Make up a huge salad with sturdy greens like Romaine or kale, or a slaw made from cabbage, carrots, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts to offer if you need to fill out a menu. Have root veggies chunked and ready to roast, or green beans, carrots, and broccoli prepped and ready to steam or saute.

I also used to make a pot of quinoa or brown rice so I can warm it up to have with a stir fry or make a grain bowl with leftover veggies and meat (or even fried eggs).

Breakfast for dinner is always a hit.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

happygal

You are not
Old 11-04-2019, 04:01 PM

The only one capable...

Have a family meeting. Each member can sign up for the day they want. Thursday should be "fend for yourself /leftovers day.

You take the day YOU want. Then let your husband have the next pick...

When you do for a child what they can be doing you rob them of Independence

Younger kids get assistance from the older.

Reduce the number of glasses plates and cups in your kitchen so they cannot pile up.

Go on strike if they do not cooperate with you.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

When I had kids at home
Old 11-04-2019, 04:01 PM

they had a night, starting fairly young. I had five kids cooking at the best of times, and one night was pizza night, leaving me to cook only once a week.

It wasn't gourmet cooking by any stretch of the imagination, but they planned their own meals, I shopped on Saturday, and they cooked. Another night was a clean up night.

Do it. It might still end up being the same old meals, but you won't be cooking them.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Ideas
Old 11-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Burrito bar

Taco bar

Make your own pizza

Nachos

Spaghetti

I second sandwiches!

Meatloaf

Bbq hamburgers

A comment on picky eaters... stop catering to them. Just stop. Instead, make A meal. Let then serve themselves.

I have yet to see an American kid starve to death.

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 11-04-2019, 04:07 PM

last night: smorgasbord--varies, but this particular meal was homemade guac (by me) and tortilla chips; salami and cheese and tiny sourdough rounds; parmesan/artichoke dip from store and crackers; cukes, carrots, celery and ranch dip; banana and apple slices dipped in vanilla yogurt dipped in brown sugar; almonds lightly salted (There was a lot more preparation last night than i usually do!)

tonight: pork loin has been in crock pot all day; going to whip up instant mashed potatoes for the non-veggie eaters; and fresh green beans cooked with garlic and cashews for DH and me

wednesday: DH BBQ's burgers (which means cheese, bacon, and avocado!)

thursday: BBQ'd chicken with a veggie to be named later

friday: going out to Red Robin

some ideas for you:
*build your own pizza
*build your own sandwich
*build your own scrambled egg dish (think like omelet, but you don't have to be "tidy" when cooking it)
*build your own Big Salad (chef/cobb salad)
*build your own tacos
*maybe research some one-pan casseroles or crock pot set it and forget it meals...

how old are your kids? could everyone do some research (google) and find a meal/recipe they each like that they are willing to help with?

good luck!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-04-2019, 04:10 PM

figuring out what to cook for supper every night for the rest of your life

I was just thinking of this tonight. And then I realized that it doesn't have to be the rest of my life. I can pick an age to move to assisted living. Then I get to pick from a menu for the rest of my life.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Dinner
Old 11-04-2019, 04:14 PM

I feel your pain. 10 years ago, I told my DH that I cooked the first 30 years of the marriage and he could cook the next 30. Most of that time, the kids have been out of the house, so it's been easy. Tonight was chili.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

marguerite2
Old 11-04-2019, 04:24 PM

I think we could be best friends 😀.

Your answer is the best thing I heard all day. Thank you for the smile.
cdeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Lucky for me
Old 11-04-2019, 04:56 PM

DH cooks on his days off and years ago I told him making decent healthy meals is the only option.

We had chicken strips and grilled asparagus tonight (DH cooked). Tomorrow is tuna casserole. That will last two nights.

DH is in charge two more days so imagine we will have chicken for don bleu and cauliflower crust pizza.

I do get tired of meal planning but luckily it’s just us too and neither of us picky.
Katluv is online now   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 11-04-2019, 06:03 PM

Meal planning is very helpful and lowers the stress. (Every family member pick a meal choice)

Food prep on Sunday lowers the prep during the week. (Make a huge salad that will last for two nights plus lunch for you)

As much as possible, make big meals of things that can be eaten for two nights or repurposed as something new. (roast beef --> roast beef sandwiches; roast chicken --> chicken soup --> chicken pizza or tacos)

Work your way towards healthier choices for the family - make three items: one healthy, one healthy side, and one "junky" thing. If DH only makes junky food, at least you will have the salad if you don't want to eat junky. And if they're picky, let them fend for themselves.

And give yourself a night off!
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

meals
Old 11-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Recently, a friend said that each child picked a night to help in the kitchen. As they got older, that child was doing all the cooking in the kitchen on that night. I wish I had thought to do that when my kids were young.

I tend to just cook 3 nights, then leftovers on Thurs. and take-out/go out/simple on weekends.

This week:
Mon. - Lemon chicken soup w/ caesar salad
Tues. - Turkey burger with veggies
Wed. - Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta, kale salad
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 11-04-2019, 07:34 PM

Kids moved out so we are empty nesters. No more cooking except holidays or special ocassions. I love it! We have sandwich stuff, cereal, popcorn, fruit, cheese, crackers, summer sausage, Schwan’s ready to heat meals if someone is really hungry. We don’t even discuss it and just do our own thing. Then over the holidays I can actually enjoy cooking and baking.

My go to easy winter meals when the kids were home were—
frito pie- heat chili, pour over Fritos & sprinkle cheese
Or
BBQ sausage- buy linked sausage cut it up, heat on stove w/ bbq sauce, add green beans & Mac & cheese for sides
Cornbread & beans in crockpot
Roast in crockpot
Funnystory is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-04-2019, 08:07 PM

When I got to that point I quit. Yes, just quit. I could deal with the picky, whiny kids, but as soon as dh stopped eating that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I haven't cooked in probably 3 years.

I grocery shop, I provide food and lots of options, but I don't cook anymore unless it's something I want.

My kids are all pretty good at fixing themselves decent meals, so I figure I've given them a life skill by stepping away.

The funny/not so funny part of the whole scenario. It took dh almost a year to figure out that I wasn't cooking dinner anymore.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 PM

oops! Double post!
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-04-2019, 10:21 PM

I have varied my approaches over the years.

First I used to plan by category. Every week included a soup, a casserole, a stir fry, a sandwich, and a meat and potato meal. It helped for a while, but I got tired.

Look up sheet pan dinners and one pot meals That always helps with ideas and saves on dishes.

I remember when I was teaching the kids to cook I told them every meal is basically the same. Pick a protein and some veggies. From there you either put it over rice, with some pasta and sauce,on a salad,next to a potato, in some broth for soup, stuff it in a tortilla or pita, or scramble it in some eggs. It's really all the same. That seemed to help them figure it out and is pretty much the meal planning method I've stuck with every since. Thinking of it as easier makes it easier for some reason.

My BEST tip that worked for me is to keep a list inside one of my kitchen cupboards of every meal that has been successful. It's easy to add to and has been there for years. I even have super easy stuff written on there like hamburgers. That way when I'm trying to think of ideas before grocery shopping and my mind is blank, it's right there. After shopping, I keep a second list on the side of the fridge that tells the meals I have ingredients for. I never managed to train DH, but sometimes I'd come home to a meal and the kids would have checked the list and gotten busy!
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-05-2019, 05:40 AM

No one ever cooked but me. Older ds is out of the house, younger ds is away at college so it’s just dh and me. Dh has never cooked a meal in his life. I’m over cooking too. I may just not do it and see what happens.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

rana712

Luckily
Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 PM

my kids are grown. I do the cooking and DH does the cleaning. I make a menu and to be honest, I make the things I like. I like to eat vegan and with no oil, sugar or salt. DH is a carnivore. He supplements at lunch, because he does NOT want to be responsible for planning or cooking.

In our family, it was the rule that if someone else did the planning and cooking you had a choice, eat it or not. And there were no substitutions (substitutions initially were PBJ sandwiches, but it started to get out of control!). Generally there was something that everyone could eat despite "picky" tendencies. The kids went to bed hungry a couple of times, but then they became a bit more flexible. They were invited to plan, help shop and help cook. They chose not to. So, they were stuck eating what I wanted. And... we found after a few heated discussions, that it was much better to discuss a "I am not so fond of...." after a bit of time had passed. Saying it after someone had spent the day in the kitchen, might have resulted in the whole dish being launched into the garbage.

Tuesday: Greek food: eggplant/tomato dip, tabouli, hummus and tzatziki
Wednesday- Stuffed acorn squash, salad
Thursday- leftovers
Friday- Miso Barley Soup, Whole wheat bread, salad.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote