Help

BusyBoard

Reading Curriculum

>

Teacherbee_4

Reading Curriculum
Old 07-23-2020, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm so tempted to ditch our reading series. I hate it. It's not meeting the needs of my students and it's not very engaging. Our director of instruction says the textbook is just a guide and another resource and we do not need to be lock-step page by page with it. I really don't think anyone will mind if I ditch a lot of it. However, I would like to have an engaging curriculum to use, even if it means purchasing from TPT.

Do you have any products/resources to recommend for 4th grade reading on TPT or elsewhere online? Maybe the Engage NY modules which are free? I also have the Woodburn units of study, although two of the units just have the teaching points and no mini-lessons. Thoughts? I'd like something that students will LOVE and that will be rigorous and meet their needs.

I'm also editing to add that we do use letter grades, so I would like something with a balance of things that are just for practice with things that can be taken for a grade, so I have enough grades in the grade book to make their grade a truly reflection of what the can do.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Side-by-side Reading Curriculum
Old 07-23-2020, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like this curriculum. We adopted it last year. It's designed for 3-6th. It is a scripted curriculum with lots of writing but my students loved the books and were engaged. This is based on chapter books. Students read along with the teacher in a chapter book. The teacher models learning in that genre. After a few weeks, you break into groups by their reading level. Each group then reads another chapter book at their level but the same genre. The drawback was that it takes two reading sessions daily. The suggested time is two 45 min. sessions. It was an expensive curriculum to adopt but we we already seeing reading and vocabulary test scores rising before Covid. (We do MAP testing three times a year) Also, the students loved the books.
https://www.readsidebyside.com/reading-programs-info
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

BBRocks124

not a fan....
Old 07-23-2020, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I posted about this just a few weeks ago - but I teach fifth. I can't stand any reading curriculum we have used. I create most lessons using picture books and novel studies. Readworks.org is also a great resource to reinforce those skills needed.
BBRocks124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Side By Side
Old 07-23-2020, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've read about Side by Side on here before. It sounds really good! I wish I had the money to purchase it just for my grade or that my school would purchase it for us. Maybe I can convince them!

Teacherbee_4

Thanks
Old 07-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I create most lessons using picture books and novel studies. Readworks.org is also a great resource to reinforce those skills needed.
Thanks! I've done a lot of creating my own, as well. I've used readworks a lot too. My biggest fear is doing something and not getting the results, then I'd feel like I wasn't doing my job, especially if it wasn't the series we are "supposed" to use.

Keltikmom

Reading curriculum
Old 07-23-2020, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you canít Readers Workshop with all the necessary level books, you might want to seriously check out The Daily Five. But, you still need a lot of multi level books across several genres. It could get you started though.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks
Old 07-23-2020, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
If you canít Readers Workshop with all the necessary level books, you might want to seriously check out The Daily Five. But, you still need a lot of multi level books across several genres. It could get you started though.
Thanks. That's kind of what I want to do, but I was hoping to find a resource to use for mini-lessons/teaching points etc. so I could do a mini lesson and then have the rest of the time for the kids to do Daily 5 rotations and/or just independent reading, so I can meet with small groups and/or do individual book conferences. The way our series has the lessons, they are way longer than 10-15 minutes, and with only an hour for reading and writing, I need something effective but short! I was actually Daily 5 because that could be a way to work in the writing, too.

Cat woman

Old 07-23-2020, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

CAFE (from Daily5) has mini lessons covering strategies for Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expanding Vocabulary. I used it before I retired and found it to be very effective, when used with Daily 5 and a Guided Reading.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks
Old 07-23-2020, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
CAFE (from Daily5) has mini lessons covering strategies for Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expanding Vocabulary. I used it before I retired and found it to be very effective, when used with Daily 5 and a Guided Reading.
Thanks! I know what CAFE stands for, and I've seen different strategies to put under a CAFE menu on TPT, but is there a separate place to find mini-lessons, or do you just "create" the mini-lesson based on the strategy?

Keltikmom

Daily 5
Old 07-24-2020, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Itís been a while, but I recall it has the lesson plans.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote