Intervention & Title I Services

tutor

>

Bernarad1

Bernarad1

tutor
Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi I am about to begin tutoring two girls (separate nights), both are in second grade. One is a grade level below in reading and the other is half a grade below. I am hoping someone can help me structure the hour we have together. I am thinking the first ten minutes we will work on fluency?? Then I am not sure how to structure the rest of the hour...Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Thank you!
Cathy

luvtulearn

welcome Bernard1
Old 01-09-2018, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are off to a good start with fluency. . . .fluency phrases, passages, sight words, etc. Depending on your assessments, you would definitely want to include phonics and word work within the hour. From my experience most basel reading companies now a days do not place as much of an emphasis on phonics in their 2nd grade curriculum as in previous textbook adoptions. A systematic and explicit approach to these three areas will probably give you the most bang for your book. For example, give a lot of attention to chunking of letters, sounds, and syllables, with the goal of blending. Word families and rhyming will help with these. For word work I would use letter cards to manipulate these sounds to build and create words through patterns. Hope this helps.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

bernard1

Old 02-08-2018, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much Luvtulearn!!!!!! i don't know why I never saw this until now!! I appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much!!
bernard1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I might not be the norm but I'd start all the way at the beginning. Do a full phonics screener with letter sound assessment. Then depending on how that assessed them start all the way at the beginning with reading three letter words. I found when I worked with title I students that this worked well. Even if it feels like going too far backward. I had students make quick progress. Due to the fact you are only filling in holes (typically) you move much quicker through the phonics rules than you would with someone who hasn't had any instruction. I tried fluency, sight word instruction, etc. and found that often it just reinforced word guessing habits. If the word is truly a sight word (there aren't really that many) than of course teach it but otherwise teach them the rules behind how to sound it out. You can do a lot in an hour one-on-one. Though one night a week isn't ideal as they may lose some of what you taught between lessons. If parents are willing I would see if there is some sort of reading practice you can assign between lessons. Even just 10-15 minutes a night reinforcing whatever you taught would help a ton.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote