Help

High School

disapointed

>

andyash

disapointed
Old 01-29-2018, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I know this is not your typical discussion. I am currently an assistant at a small school. My superior and I, as well as the rest of the faculty have addressed fact that the students are growing more and more disrespectful and intolerable. The teachers and pushed and tested and habitually disrespected. My superior and I have both noticed that it is starting to directly affect our program. The negative attitudes both of us are greeted with everyday are simply unacceptable. Both of us have received recognition for our consistent positivity, yet the negative attitudes are being brought into our program. My question is how do we fix this? I understand that this is not an overnight thing, but we just can't seem to find the right place to start.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

andyash

andyash is offline   Reply With Quote

joetendo

Old 05-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We dealt with this at our school, along with bad staff morale. We tackled staff morale first. A staff member that was pretty well trusted by most send out a google form survey to staff about once a month at first, then twice a month. The questions mimicked our teacher working conditions (does your state do one?) survey, along with some open-ended question. It was 100% anonymous. We got some pretty shockingly frank comments. At the school improvement meetings, the principal had us blow them up and we read through everything. Some of it was petty, but some themes were repeated over and over. We had low marks in common vision, morale in general, communication, admin enforcing rules consistently.. you name it. Admin did a good job of addressing most of them, and really used teachers for ideas. New ways of doing things by teachers gives ownership and authenticity.

We tackled one at a time. Student morale followed to some degree. Then we hired a survey company to survey students. I don't think it was as good... there was nothing open ended. I think we'll still working on that, but figuring out how to make things work more smoothly for teachers helped EVERYTHING.

Our state uses PBIS. I think it's a mixed bag, but there are some good parts about it, such as rewarding kids for good behavior with a little card each teacher has a stack of. Give the kid the card, they put it in a box in the office, there is a drawing every 2 weeks for prizes. Kids get cards for whatever good behavior... you see them picking up a piece of trash, helping someone out, improving their behavior, etc.

Got lots more if you are interested. Good luck!
joetendo is offline   Reply With Quote