Help

Second Grade

Guiding students

>

learn

Guiding students
Old 01-06-2019, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Supposedly after the new year, we are not to instruct students to check their answers on their test papers. And if they missed answering any questions on a test, we are to mark it wrong. Is this what second grade does throughout all schools? This is my first year in second grade, so I gather grades will drop drastically because no matter how many reminders I did, students still forgot. I went further to type a power point where I wrote step by step on what to do on a test and would display it on my Smartboard but kids still forgot.

Would like to hear what everyone does after the new year.

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Guiding students
Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not teaching/reminding them to check their answers is insanely stupid. By checking their answers they get a second chance to re evaluate their work.

In the real world of business you MUST triple check your work.

Just my opinion.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

ceceteaches

Totally Agree!
Old 01-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Of course, they must check their answers. To me, this is how we train them to take tests in the future. To always go back and check and make sure all questions are answered, letters/numbers are written correctly, and neatly. In 2nd grade they take more tests, and this is part of their prep for 3rd grade.

In my class, students aren't allowed to turn in their tests without checking them 1st. I tell them, "are you sure you're ready to turn that in?" Once it gets in my tray, it's mine!" I think they're so glad to be done with the test, they don't think to check it. My gentle reminder works sometimes; but, either way I will always remind them. And I point out different material that will probably be on their next test.
ceceteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-27-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like you work for a micro-manager. I've never had a principal give me that level of "guidance" on how to handle my students. It totally depends on the situation. If I have a kid who carelessly skipped a whole page on a test, I'm going to give it back for a re-do with a slightly disappointed look on my face, and say, "You'd better be glad I'm nice!" if it happens frequently, they can come in at recess to do it over. Just not making them do it, is like a free pass to a second grader. They don't always make the connection about the failing grade. They just know they finished faster. If they just skipped one and it keeps them from making a 100, I might count it wrong, and say, "Oh darn, you almost had a perfect paper!" The point is, you want them to learn to be more careful AND to actually DO the test. It's not about punishing - it's about teaching.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote