Help

Substitute Teachers

Any AP Proctors?

>

YayaSub

Any AP Proctors?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm doing this for the first time this year. Has anyone else done it? So far it has gone well. Some of my tests are with only one or two students who get extended testing time.

I'm not exactly clear on how much it pays (since there's a wide range of daily time worked) or who pays me. I don't sign in the way I do when I sub.

I'm definitely enjoying the short, easy days!

Any insights?

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 05-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve proctored AP exams in the past. The job was always either 1/2 or full day sub pay, depending on the needs of any given day. I was called by a principal. The assignment had a job number and was listed as roving sub.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-15-2019, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am proctoring these past two weeks as well. It is going well, but can be very boring. I think these 3 hour tests are just too long. I was given the assignment by the sub admin for my district as recommended by the school. It is an honor being chosen for this. I have been subbing for years and this was the first year I was chosen. Some days we only proctor one test and other days are long and we go from 7:30am til about 4pm. To even it out, my district just pays us for a full day regardless. Today I was out at 11:30am, tomorrow will most likely be a 9 hour day.

I will definitely do it again, but for those exams with only 1-2 kids, you need a good book with you. The only problem I had was that a student asked to go to the BR after another was already out during the test. I told her she has to wait, but the student insisted it was an emergency. I asked the other proctor and was told absolutely not. They cant risk students discussing the test in the BR.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Three hour tests become six hour tests for kiddos with an accommodation of 100% extended time. Only the standard 10 minute break everyone else got. No food that whole time. That kid was a trooper!

It has been a good experience overall, but yes, boring. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but this has been a good change of pace.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow! We only had a few students who qualified for 50% extra time and they barely needed it at least. But an exam lasting for 6 hours! Thats just crazy. In my district, we do allow students to keep a water bottle on the floor next to them for obvious reasons. They do bend the rules slightly only when it comes to that. Expecting a kid to go 3 hours without even water is torture.

I even volunteered to proctor make-up exams for the next 2 weeks, when needed. They seemed optimistic about using me, so I am hoping for an easy ride for the remainder of May.

NJSubteacher

Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Another thing I wonder is if these are AP kids, why do some even qualify for extra time the same way special ed students would?

mrsd5

Extended time
Old 05-16-2019, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One reason is for ADHD/ADD students. Focus is an issue, so extended time is given, because it's in their 504 plan. One of my sons even got extended time in a quiet setting when he was in college.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-17-2019, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, that makes sense. I apologize because it was very ignorant of me to just assume these students cannot be AP material. If ADHD was diagnosed when I was going to school, I think I would have been diagnosed as well.