Help

Fourth Grade

Departmentalized 1 subject?

>

42inFirst

Departmentalized 1 subject?
Old 05-11-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My principal approached me about having our 4th graders switch classes for just 1 subject next year. The subjects mentioned were Science and Social Studies. There are only 2 teachers and she asked me what I thought and which subject I preferred. Anyone have any experience with this? We would still teach our home room ELA and Math. Iím not sure what subject would be best and also not sure how scheduling would work.

42inFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 05-11-2019, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It seems odd to me to only switch for science/ss, especially when the bulk of your teaching is spent on Ela/math. When we departmentalized, one taught ELA and one math, then we taught our homeroom Science/SS. Those subjects are more easily combined into ELA/Math anyway. If you are only Switching for those, you can really only practically spend 30 mins each on those.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

switching
Old 05-12-2019, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is an odd switch to me too. Probably neither of those subjects are state tested though, right?
If I had to choose, definitely s.s.! You can integrate it into ELA instruction. I do that all the time with reading, research, etc.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Beige

I Do This
Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My partner teacher and I have switched for Science and Social Studies for many years. I really like it because it forces us to teach those subjects every time. Too often Science and SS got shoved aside because we needed to finish up something else....plus I absolutely HATE teaching Science.

We set an hour aside four days a week, and teach each class 30 minutes. Really, that's all we had for those subjects before we started switching, so it wasn't a big change.

Our kids are not terribly organized, so this is a nice step to departmentalized middle school. I highly recommend it.
Mrs. Beige is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

It's good!
Old 05-13-2019, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of my districts does this exact thing, and I like it for the same reason Mrs. Beige said - it means these important subjects aren't "squashed out" by state testing areas! If you're switching, it's in a shared schedule, and time is already allocated for it.

I also like that it gives the kids a "ramp-up" to switching classes in middle school. They still have that comfortable relationship with their main teacher, but they get a little taste of moving around to practice organizational skills, etc.

As to which subject is best, it totally depends on your, and your partner's, preferences! Which do you find more interesting? If you don't have a preference, does he/she?

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

42inFirst

Old 05-13-2019, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thereís a new teacher starting next year that I havenít even met yet, so Iím not sure what her preference would be. I donít have a strong preference either way. Iím glad to hear that some people are doing it successfully!
42inFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

S.s.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have two teachers that teach ELA and Social Studies, and two that teach Math and Science. I teach ELA and S.S. I love teaching S.S.!

Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote