Help

Substitute Teachers

Send them to the office

>

subasaurus

Send them to the office
Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

"If this student gives you any problems, don't hesitate to send them to the office."

If I had a quarter for every time I read that in the lesson plans I'd be very wealthy.

My question is this:

Don't these rude students misbehave so they can get out of class? Isn't kicking them out for every infraction kind of like giving them what they want and enabling their behaviors further in a way? They're simply seeking negative attention and don't want to do work.

Also, I've sent students to the office and they've been sent right back before. Not always an effective tactic for dealing with disrespectful kids.

Plus there's retaliation from the student. Think "This sub didn't know what they were doing and was on their phone!" kind of comments.

This is why I "hesitate" sometimes.

Just an epiphany I had the other day while reading a lesson plan that wasn't very helpful. (It was a few vague sentences and one stern warning.)

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-22-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a kid who was on his phone and then proceeded to get his hair braided by another girl. The whole class could have been sent out though(it was high school). I just rode it out because I thought it would escalate with this kid and that security would just send him back and my life would get worse. I just find that now kids donít care whether itís middle school or hs. They usually get sent back in half an hour or less and they are usually friendly with the security, who I know play it friendly with them to make their job easier. Sometimes I will kick a kid out if I am out of patience though. Glad this will be my last year dealing with this bs.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Not on my watch...
Old 05-22-2019, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I might be bragging but even the kids at school know I have never sent a kid to the office based on his or her behavior. I haven't yet discovered a kid who wants to earn the reputation of being the first.

In addition to the reasons given, I think sending a kid to the office is in direct conflict with my stated purpose... I'm all about teaching and learning. I can't teach a kid who is sitting in the office.

There are two extremely rare exceptions to my "policy." The first is when that behavior truly interferes with teaching and learning or creates an "unsafe" learning environment for the rest of the class. (Also usually determined by school policy.) The second is when the student and I need a break from each other--sending that student to the office is not a punishment, it's just a break. I've seen teachers do this very effectively--I have not but have come close occasionally.

My further bias is that I would prefer to handle my own behavior issues. But it's also consistent with my "shared management" strategy. "We make decisions together... and your actions are an important part of that process." I occasionally tell students, "I can solve this problem but I'm willing to bet you aren't going to like my solution. Maybe you want to come up with one first."

I subscribe to the idea that the only behavior I can actually control in the classroom is my own. There's a world of difference between controlling and managing. Students may appreciate structure but they don't like being controlled-- I've seen some pretty belligerent five year olds. Sometimes the only way to win is not to play the game. And students are very good at playing the game.
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ugh, that first comment in your post ranks right up there with, “They know what to do”. I won’t send a kid to the office unless it something really outrageous, or dangerous behavior. In my mind, it sends a signal to all the kids that I can’t control the class.

I think you sub for upper grades (?), and I can just imagine the retaliation tactics they’d employ. Yeesh.

ETA: MaineSub is correct. Refuse to play the game, and it’s no longer any fun. That strategy works for me.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 05-22-2019, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've put that in sub plans before. What I mean is that I recognize that some kids behave terribly and I've probably had to send them out myself. You don't need to feel like you need to suck it up and put up with it. You don't need to worry about long-term effects of sending them out , like learning they can act up to leave. I'd rather you send them out than not send them out and leave me a note that they were bad.

tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachforAll

Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I appreciate the support when teachers know a student will misbehave with a new teacher in the room. I had one experience where I forgot the teacher and principal gave me that instruction. I forgot because I'm not use to getting that much support. Looking back, I so wish I did because I think it was a better decision in that particular situation than toughing it out and giving logical consequences.
TeachforAll is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thereís no point if they come right back or donít even get taken out though. Sometimes they are subdued, but mostly they know there is nothing we can do to them as far as punishment goes. Maybe itís different in elementary.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used to have to put the opposite message in my notes. Please DO NOT send students to the office except for instances of dangerous/threatening behavior. We had some subs who wanted to send kids out for every little thing. Yes, that did mean that some kids learned that they could get out of class by being annoying, and then admin couldn't deal with stuff they really needed to address due to having to deal with those unimportant items.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
If this student gives you any problems, don't hesitate to send them to the office.
Yep...see that a lot in elementary school lesson plans. But I've learned that it's usually no solution. Either the office doesn't pick up when I call or the child returns after 10 minutes feeling smug because nothing was done to correct them. Sometimes there's a buddy teacher I can send them to. But not usually not..It's a dilemma..

I can usually handle behavior issues, but sometimes there's a situation where the child is endangering others and needs to be removed. If no help is available, the only recourse is to take the entire class out of the room!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-24-2019 at 03:32 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 05-30-2019, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like that statement.... "I subscribe to the idea that the only behavior I can actually control in the classroom is my own. There's a world of difference between controlling and managing......Sometimes the only way to win is not to play the game. And students are very good at playing the game."

So true, and everything I forget, it gets to be more difficult. haha, thanks for reminding me.

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I have never put that in my lesson plans
Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

because I figure that the sub will know if a student needs to go to the office. I will leave a list of difficult kids for them to keep an eye on, but I don't suggest that they send them to the office. In first grade, I have more trouble with kids trying to go to the nurse.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote