Help

Kindergarten

ABC Bootcamp

>

texasteacher6

ABC Bootcamp
Old 05-29-2019, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have any of you used an ABC bootcamp at the beginning of the school year to intro all letters and sounds right away vs. stretching out the introduction of them throughout the school year? I am thinking of trying this next year and am just seeking general input.

Thanks!

texasteacher6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We don't do a bootcamp per se, but do have an alphabet intro during the first 3 weeks of school. We focus on two letters a day and introduce both the letter and sound. We don't write them or anything, just practice the sound and find the letters in everyone's name. We do a lot of other name activities during those three weeks as well. When we go over the letters again during the year we focus on printing and use them as a springboard for phonemic awareness and phonics activities.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Try it
Old 05-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some of the teachers did it and loved it. I did not use ABC Bootcamp. My friend and I did something similar as pp. We introduced all letters in 3 weeks. Later, we reintroduced each letter and how to write each letter.
I loved using this approach! I bet you will like it too.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 05-31-2019, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I first started teaching K in the 80s, we did the letter of the week approach. Now we do a quick intro to all the letters in Sept like PP. In October we start in our formal phonics program (Reading Horizons) where we work with the letters in letter groups. (There are five letter groups. Each letter group has four or five consonants with one vowel.) Most of our students have been very successful with it. It is helpful because they attack words by blending letter slides with final consonants.

The first letter group is a, b, f, d, g. We introduce a-the letter name, sound and how to write it. Repeat for b. Then introduce the ba letter slide. Introduce the letter f-letter name, sound, formation and letter slide fa. Repeat for d. Repeat for g. After all the letters in the group have been introduced, we blend the letters in that group to make real words (i.e. bag) and nonsense words (i.e. *faf). They are working with the introduced consonants in initial and final positions. The program includes decoding where students read and mark words, as well as, encoding where we dictate letters, sound, words, or sentences (later).

It depends on the students on how fast you move to the next letter group. I find that I spend the most time on the first two letter groups. I also noticed since we started the program, my students' writing has improved.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote