Do you ever question yourself as a teacher? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

Do you ever question yourself as a teacher?

>

Doubtful

Doubtful

Do you ever question yourself as a teacher?
Old 04-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I find that I知 doubting myself a lot. I worry too much about what people think of me. For example, I had an IEP for one of my students this afternoon. It was me and few other members of the team. I was told to explain my concerns and what I do in my class to help the student. I kept it short and simple. But then one of the other teachers elaborated and gave examples. It made me feel inadequate. I should have probably said more.

I do my best to help every student in my class. I try to differentiate my instruction, to meet the needs of all my students. I personally know I知 doing my best and trying. When it comes time for others to hear what I知 doing, I freeze. It痴 like I can稚 say the right thing. When I知 with my students; I知 confident, know what I知 doing, and know how to help them be successful. In front of my colleagues I知 doubtful, unsure of myself, and feel like I知 judged ( I probably am or am not IDK). All I know is that I知 tired of feeling this way.

dee

As a team chairperson
Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thank you for short and sweet!!!

Some colleagues are so insecure they need to "prove" themselves in a team meeting. I just had meeting when I finally had an opportunity to (politely) cut off a colleague after almost 10 minutes. No one has time for that!

My best advice to you:
What you do with students is what is important. Sounds like you're fine!
The rest will come later! Cut yourself some slack.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Always
Old 04-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been teaching for over 20 years and I continually feel inadequate! I think I take it as a sign that I am always trying to better myself. Our profession is one in which we are constantly judged for what we do, by administrators, colleagues, parents, and children. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Do your best for your children (it sounds like you already do, and make sure to take care of yourself.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 06-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel inadequate all the time, even after 7 years of teaching. I have to remind myself that it's all in my head and that nobody else thinks that of me. We are all human and make mistakes, but as long as you are trying your best then that's what matters!

I'm usually short and sweet too. I don't do well in those meetings, it's very hard to come up with words to say on the spot.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote