Help

Kindergarten

Help with system for keeping notes on kids

>

jcm

Help with system for keeping notes on kids
Old 06-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every year I try a different system to keep track of each student's growth in reading, writing and math. I want a system that is quick to use and practical and also helps me to keep track of who I have met with or observed each day. I also think it would be easier to have one page per student instead of the several students on one page so it is easy to refer to for report cards and parent conferences. I want something that is easy to use and not time-consuming...
Any good advice or ideas?
THanks!

jcm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried ESGI? It has been a life changer for me. Makes assessments SO easy, and provides quick to use data for each kid, skill, etc. It's pricey but worth every penny. But it's more for assessments than for note taking. However, you can do assessments really really fast.

For quick notes, I have a post-it system where I literally have a sheet with 6 post-its for different kids (so 4 sheets all together). There's a box for each post-it and a place for their name above. I use it for quick notes and thoughts through the day and just continue to add post-it's as they fill up. I also use different colors every time I add a post-it so I can kind of see who I've written a lot about and who I need to pay more attention to. For report cards and conferences I just take the post-its off the sheet for easy reference. It's not fancy but it works great for me.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
KetchupChips
Old 06-19-2019, 03:53 PM
This message has been deleted by KetchupChips.

LaFish

journals
Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do not have any new ideas. (I just retired!) This is what worked for me. We wrote in our journals every day. I loved how I can observe so much from their journals. I would pull out the journals during conferences, show the parent how much progress the child has made and discuss other developments in the child's writing.

I did Post-It notes too. I would try to write down little notes about a table of students each day. By the end of the week, I would have a couple of comments for each student in class. By the end of the first month, I found myself taking more notes on the students that struggled more.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also use post-it notes, though not nearly as organized as Sbkangas.

Wondering if you would be willing to share, Sbkangas?

On-line I have seen templates where you can print on post-its, but since I do not have a positive relationship with our printer I am not sure if that is a good idea.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

Sbkangas -
Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Please share how your post-it system works. It would be great to have another system to organize how out kinders learn during the school year. TIA!

benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Sbkangas5
Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just made this mat for 6 Post It Notes-2 rows of 3. Is this similar to what you use to stick your Post It Notes on so they are organized by student? Do you hole punch the sheets and keep them in a binder?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mat for 6 Post It Notes.pdf (8.7 KB, 28 views)
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My sheet is almost exactly like the one iteachk made (and since I'm not on my work computer thank you for making it!). I just have them on a clipboard.

jcm

how do you manage the sticky notes?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So, you have boxes with each child's name and when each box has a sticky note, do you put them in a binder with individual student pages? Just curious about the management piece!
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
So, you have boxes with each child's name and when each box has a sticky note, do you put them in a binder with individual student pages? Just curious about the management piece!
I don't do anything special with them. They stay stacked on the original sheet, and if I need to reference them for conferences or something I just take them off and stick them on another piece of paper. It would be easy to do as you suggest, though!

anna

Old 06-21-2019, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used mailing labels and a numbered filing system in a binder. The binder had dividers that were numbered. There was notebook paper behind each numbered divider as well as a divider with pockets. Each student had a student number. I kept mailing labels on my desk and would write anecdotal notes throughout the day when necessary. At the end of the day I would stick the notes onto the pages inside the notebook. This notebook helped out a great deal during student study team meetings.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote