Spelling Mastery... Skip weekly spelling tests? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Spelling Mastery... Skip weekly spelling tests?

>

teacher0729

Spelling Mastery... Skip weekly spelling tests?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been using spelling mastery for my kids with learning disabilities who need spelling instruction. I have always given the weekly spelling test but research shows that spelling tests aren't the best way to assess. Should I do it bi-weekly or monthly instead just to get a feel for if they are making growth? Or should there be a few sentences each week that they need to write for the test? I will be using Levels A and B with grades 1-2 students.

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-24-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know anything about Spelling Mastery, so this may be irrelevant. But the way I've always tested spelling is to give a test on whatever phonics pattern we're learning at that time. The words follow the pattern (or previously learned patterns), but are not given to the students ahead of time to memorize. That way I know if they truly understood and can apply the concept vs. questioning if they just were able to memorize the words for the week.

For example, if we're working on silent e I'd make up maybe 15 words. Most words would be silent e words but I'd throw 5 CVC or CCVC words in there to make sure students weren't overgeneralizing (i.e. just throwing an "e" at the end of everything because they know that's what we're working on). I usually tell them a set number to get right (in this case maybe at least 12-13) and if they reach that goal they get to hang their test on the board. Every year I'm surprised at how motivated kids are by that simple thing.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote