5 Best Things You Couldn't live without in your classroom? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

5 Best Things You Couldn't live without in your classroom?

>

jcm

5 Best Things You Couldn't live without in your classroom?
Old 07-27-2019, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I have some PTO money to spend on my classroom and wondered what cool supplies, teacher tools, organizers, games, etc. you love and couldn't live without in your classroom!

jcm is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-27-2019, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Chair pockets,student sized white boards ,black ankle sock with white board pen for each student ,Lakeshore colored bins to store each " job" for the students and store math materials for each student. Each student had their own math bucket.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Supplies
Old 07-27-2019, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I retired but loved using:
Dry eraser markers (Students loved them too.)
Big chart tablet
Candy (Students & teachers)
Laser pointer
Mailbox sorter

I initially wanted to say Smart Board and a wireless printer. But didnít know how much $ you could spend.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-27-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Things I use daily/weekly:
  • class set of white boards
  • math manipulatives (counters of all kinds, snap cubes, pattern blocks, attribute blocks, tens frames, card decks, dice of all kinds)
  • art supplies - oil pastels, chalk pastels, watercolors, nice paper is a plus!, markers, crayons, colored pencils, beads, pipe cleaners, glue, tape
  • really useful boxes - my favorite for organization
  • job chart
  • calendar
  • building supplies - blocks, legos, magnatiles, k'nex, keva planks, lincoln logs, anything they can build with
  • fine motor toys - tiny legos, beads to string, geoboards, anything that can involve tweezers, putty, playdough, nuts and bolts, small magnets, puzzles
  • magnetic letters
Things I love:
  • games, games, games!
  • alphabet and math puzzles
  • those fun locks from Lakeshore - they have alphabet, cvc words, numbers, and addition/subtraction
  • all kinds of letters - stickers, magnets, wooden, whatever I can find
  • dramatic play items
  • sensory table
  • light table
  • 4 person easel for painting
  • creation station - it's basically an art area full of recycled crap that the kids can create with - I ask parents to donate cardboard tubes, bread tabs, old greeting cards, corks, bottle tops, anything that can be reused
  • flexible seating options - nothing super fancy and not too much, but I do love my hokki stools and I have a slanted top table that they really like
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

jcm

Old 07-27-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for all your ideas! I have the basics since I have been teaching for years, but I love to get new ideas from teachers to see what is out there- especially from Lakeshore! Sbkangas5- I haven't had a sensory table before- what do you put in it? Also, I have a light table from a science grant but I hate to say it but I rarely use it because it is so big! Any great suggestions for it?

KetchupChips

Desk organizer makes me happy
Old 07-27-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Staples 14470-US SpinWorx Rotating Desk Organizer

Unfortunately Staples doesnít sell it anymore. You can still find it on eBay for a slight markup.

I have it on the corner of my media desk/table. It fits with my laptop and doc camera. (I only have 1 long skinny drawer built into the table so I needed a place to store supplies.) I also keep my clipboard, important files and papers in it. Itís amazing how much stuff fit in it.

How fortunate to have PTO money. Happy shopping!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-27-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I could live without it, but this is how I spent my PTA money this year.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-27-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Sbkangas5- I haven't had a sensory table before- what do you put in it?
We don't use it every week, so I only rotate out the materials every 4-6 weeks. I have sand, water beads (which I hate but the kids love), and just plain water every year. Then some years I'll ask for things like plastic/paper grass after Easter, or I'll get the paper out of the shredder, rice, combination of sand and water to make a "beach", or I'll make that sensory sand that sticks. Sometimes we do something thematic and sometimes I'll just find something that sounds fun. One year I made ooblek with cornstarch and water, and it got moldy and so stinky so I don't ever recommend that unless you are washing it out right away! The whole thing is kind of a mess but the kids love it and it's so good for them.

Quote:
Also, I have a light table from a science grant but I hate to say it but I rarely use it because it is so big! Any great suggestions for it?
I'd love a bigger one - mine is a little cube! Really I've just collected old overhead materials over the years - anything that is clear works great. Or I put a layer of sand or shaving cream on it and they can write/draw with their finger.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

jcm

Old 07-28-2019, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Zia- where did you get this? My kids love this game but it the regular version falls apart!

Zia

Old 07-28-2019, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Zia- where did you get this? My kids love this game but it the regular version falls apart!

That is why I bought it! I was buying two of the regular table top ones each year. Hit up Amazon for giant Connect 4.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

excedrin, dove chocolates, diet coke, letter sorter for mailboxes, and Mr Sketch scented markers
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote