Help

Special Education

1:1 paras

>

SpedQueenBee

1:1 paras
Old 08-06-2019, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting a new job in a K-1 sub separate classroom. I was told in the interview I could have 9 1:1 paras and 10-12 students.

I've had paras before, this is my 20-something year of teaching, but I've never had more than 3. I've never heard of a classroom with 9.

I'm getting nervous. How do I manage 9 personalities, schedule for lunch and breaks, etc...

Any tips? Help me please!

SpedQueenBee is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Paras
Old 08-06-2019, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Goodness that is a lot! I'm assuming you have some more medically fragile students??? I would use the paras to help when your students go to out classes (music, art.....) and then make sure the paras are constantly working with kids. Idle time creates issues more than anything else is what I have found.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 08-06-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Whoa - that's a lot! One thing I try to do is make sure that even though their assignment is 1:1, I don't put one person with one child all day long - it's a quick road to burn out. Can you set up stations/groups so that each adult is teaching 1-2 students, that way you can make sure everyone is getting breaks, doing toileting, etc. I think I remember The Autism Helper having really good suggestion for creating schedules.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

spedkidsrock

Lots of help
Old 08-06-2019, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had up to 7 paras.
Scheduling is a monumental pain, it takes me about a week to finish them. If a teacher changes something...I just want to scream! That can change all the schedules. Knowing each paras' strengths and weaknesses helped me know which teachers and students they could best handle. I typically started scheduling paras first and things kinda fall into place. Once you have teacher schedules you figure out who you need to really work with.

I've always given para's the lunches as they fall. I give specific requests if I can but I don't guarantee it since IEP minutes come first.

It's inevitable that you will have dead time in a para's day. I look for:1- IEP students they can support (even if it's over minutes). 2--have them help those marginal students that are struggling. 3-- help teachers with their copying/ projects. Some days a kid is absent, so it's helpful to know my para's can stay productive/helpful without bothering me.
spedkidsrock is offline   Reply With Quote