Help

BusyBoard

Tips for adjusting to new principal?

>

TeacherPK6

Tips for adjusting to new principal?
Old 08-06-2019, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're getting a new principal this year. I'm pretty nervous as I've never worked under any other P except the one who hired me. It's hard to not know what to expect, how this P is going to operate, etc. Then also not knowing if this person is going to be a good leader or not! Anyone have any tips or suggestions for adjusting to a new admin?

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 08-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Be pleasant and cooperative. Don't assume that things will stay the same. Your new principal isn't your old principal. Don't assume that your new principal will initially welcome input from teachers-some do, some don't.

Do your job and lie low for a while. It takes time for the new principal and the staff to adjust. Don't talk about her/him with other teachers. Be non-committal.

He/she may be wonderful, but new principals are sometimes insecure and missteps by faculty are remembered long term. Just do your job and be friendly until the dust settles and you have a reading on his/her style.

I've had more good principals than bad ones. There's hope!!
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the pp. Lay low for awhile and maintain a positive attitude (at least outwardly in front of the new P). Even if asked, I wouldn't express any strong/controversial opinions until you know more about how this P operates. I think it's also great advice to be non-committal or not talk to other teachers about the P, maybe unless you're talking to your teacher BFF. The new P may establish new "favorites" (I know we all hope not, but it happens) and you don't want any negative opinions coming from you in the hands of the wrong people.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-06-2019, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the tips! I definitely plan on laying low until I know what's expected. Hoping for the best!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had many p changes in my career. I agree to lay low. I call it flying under the radar. Donít make any negative comments about anything, be supportive, and keep conversations short. Most of them will figure things out on their own the first year, then make their own changes the second year. I try not to be overwhelmed because they do like to try many new things. I just continue to do my job and give advice when needed. You will be fine.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

New P
Old 08-07-2019, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Along with everything else, this is what I used to do: leave a short thank you note on his/her desk. Or a note of encouragement.

UNLESS, you get bad vibes from the get go. Then just hide in your room.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote