Help

BusyBoard

Building Stamina

>

Teacherbee_4

Building Stamina
Old 08-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know a lot of you follow a procedure/routine at the beginning of the year to build reading stamina with your students...something with tracking minutes, etc. Can you explain in more detail how you do this? I'll probably have some questions after you explain, too! Thanks!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-12-2019, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I usually don't start the first day or two with the building stamina stuff, just because I'm focusing on other parts of the reading block (like finding the right fit book). Once I'm sure that everyone has a book to read, I emphasize the purpose of what we're doing...practicing building reading stamina. I do a Looks Like/Sounds Like poster (to emphasize things like actual reading, not looking for new books). And then I have them get ready and start reading. I literally will just time them at the beginning and look around the room to make sure they're on task. I see how long they can last and write it on the board. I might do it a second time during the same class period, depending upon the amount of time that they lasted the first time, to see if they can beat their first time. I'll write the time up on the board.
We'd do something similar for several days running, before I start meeting with groups, in an effort to extend their time that they can read and be on task without reminders. I review the Looks Like/Sounds Like chart before starting each day.
I'm not sure if that's a good way to do it or not, lol.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

When to stop and record time
Old 08-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How do you judge when to stop and record time? When just one student is looking around the room off task, or when it seems a vast majority are, or something else?

eliza4one

Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We did Day 2 of building stamina today!

Like the PP, we do lessons on just right books, etc. before building stamina.

On the very first day, this is fun to do to teach the concept of stamina. I have them run in place for as long as they can (up to 3 min.) Once their "stamina" is done, they sit down. At the 3 min. mark, I stop everyone and tell them that while I'm SURE they could have kept going all day, 3 min. is all we have time for. They love this and it wears them out for the first stamina timing. (I teach 2nd grade, so at the beg. of the year, this is good for them, anyway, as they are wiggly 1st graders at heart).

Like the PP, we review the expectations. No getting up. No talking. Eyes on book, reading, etc.

"Stamina, begin!". They all start reading. I watch closely and time them. The minute someone is off task, I stop the timer. "Oh, I'm sorry. Someone broke stamina". I write the time on the board.

"Let's try it again. Do you think you can beat _____ (previous time on board). Of course they say yes. We repeat it. Time them. 9/10 they beat the previous time. I do this 2-3x per day for about a week or so. Always keeping track of their best time and always trying to beat it.

Our goal by the time I start reading groups is at least 20 min. But 30 is better.

It is so worth it to do this!

Let us know if you have any other questions!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 08-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I base stopping the timer on how bad the infraction is. If itís just 1-2 students sort of daydreaming for a sec. I keep timing. If itís someone talking or getting up or making noises/distracting others I stop the timer.

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-12-2019, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Check out Daily 5 for Dummies. It will give you a good plan to follow for Stamina.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Building Stamina
Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is what I use:

http://www.misd.org/upload/page/0070...%20Reading.pdf
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-13-2019, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Agree with PP. I judge stopping the timer on whatís up. A kidís eye off the book? Maybe not. Or I could...depends on how strict I feel.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful for me. I was always confused about how it is tracked, so this helps answer my question! Thanks!