Help

BusyBoard

Earphone use in class

>

seenthelight

Earphone use in class
Old 08-13-2019, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What rules do you guys have for using headphones/earphones in class? Iíve always allowed my students to use them unplugged if they need to in order to concentrate, but I only allow music on my speaker playing through my device in order to control content. However, I had an interesting experience today. I had to do an online training and take a quiz at the end of the computer lab. I could not pass it for the life of me until I put on my earphones and started listening to music. The chatter in the lab was so overwhelming that I could not concentrate. It was better with the earphones unplugged, but still too loud to concentrate. The music drowned out the hum, and I finished the training and aced the quiz.

This has me reconsidering my rules. Do any of you allow your students to listen to music during independent work on their headphones? If so, other than the honor system how do you make sure they arenít listening to anything inappropriate?

Iím considering picking up a couple of cheap mp3 players and loading them with school appropriate music and letting the kids grab one if they need it. First come, first serve. Any other ideas?

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Depending on what I am working on, I like having background music on.

I would be hesitant to do this is because I teach in a testing grade. Students wouldnít be able to do this in standardized testing and I would hate to have them ďused to itĒ and then take it away when testing (which is unfortunately really high stakes for us) rolls around.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it depends on what grade you teach. For older kids (jr. high and high school) I'd probably let them do it and not worry about content. For younger kids the mp3 players is a good idea.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 08-14-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's upper elementary. I wouldn't let them use it during testing. Iím in the same boat with state testing, and would hate to get them used to a tool that is absolutely not allowable on the test. I was thinking more along the idea of during independent work. I found some not badly rated mp3 players for under $15. I may buy one to test it out and then place a couple of more on my wishlist if it works well. I know a colleague that had parents donate old phones that were no longer being used, but to me that defeats the purpose. A phone can be hooked up to the school wifi to download music. I want a cheapy player not only because it keeps the expense low if it's a flop, but also because they don't generally have wifi. Theyíd need to physically be connected to a computer to download music which would insure I was the only one doing it.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I teach HS SpEd
Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and I allow them during independent work or free time. I talk to them about content and spot check occasionally. They can only do so with specific permission (just having the phone out even...)

We also have the 1 earbud rule--they need to be able to hear me or others and respond appropriately at any time. Some let the second earpiece hang down and one fella puts the second behind his other ear.

The phone and earphones have to be put all the way away before leaving the classroom.

GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote