First Grade

Low-performing class

>

bdateach

Low-performing class
Old 09-24-2018, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good Evening Firstie Experts!

I have a bunch of wonderful kids. For the most part they are pretty well behaved. The problem is they are very weak. 80% of them are reading below grade level and I am scarcely able to understand what they write. Does anyone have any advice on how I can quickly improve their literacy skills? Especially writing...TIA!

bdateach is offline   Reply With Quote

naijagirl8

Go Back to Basics
Old 08-18-2019, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You might find it easier to focus on basics like phonics and writing mechanics. Do a lot of modeling. Have then practice sight words, high frequency words, and spelling patterns. Once they become successful with decoding words and improve sight word recognition their literacy skills should improve.
naijagirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-19-2019, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice on how I can quickly improve their literacy skills? Especially writing...TIA!
Are you talking about content or handwriting?

If it's handwriting, they just need practice. - They haven't been using those fine motor skills all summer!

Try to incorporate some hand stretches into transitions or, if you have indoor recess on bad weather days, put out things like playdough, scissors, crayons... (If there's an OT in your building, they may have suggestions or even materials to loan you as well.)

And there's nothing wrong with some good old-fashioned letter formation sheets for morning work!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote