Intervention & Title I Services

Spire

>

TitleHelp

TitleHelp

Spire
Old 10-27-2018, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use SPIRE for Title I interventions? I have to use this program and supplement with additional sight words. Iíve looked for anecdotes on otherís experiences with SPIRE, but theyíre few and far between. Any information would be helpful because it seems like nothing pleases my admin with this, but Iím doing exactly the other Title teachers in my district are doing.

Haley23

Old 10-27-2018, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it. I'm a sped teacher, but it's used during our intervention blocks and our title 1 teachers use it too. They actually use it for more groups than I do at this point. Do you have specific questions?
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
TitleHelp

TitleHelp

Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How do you write out your lesson plans? I was told to use the template they provide, which I do and itís more helpful than using the teacher manual every day. I actually write and differentiate more (ie sight words) than any other Title teacher in my district. However, since my admin has never taught primary grades, she doesnít understand phonics instruction and how SPIRE is laid out. I get questioned about how the program throws in sounds from previous lessons on the dictation. Then, my admin acts like Iím just doing random instruction and not being effective- which is far from the opposite. Also, do you do any additional assessments aside from the dictation assessment and quick checks?

Haley23

Old 10-28-2018, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use planbook.com for all of my lesson plans because I prefer to type them. Then I can look at them on my i pad during the lesson. I just list out each area and the words that we're doing, if applicable. Like this:
Drill Cards:1-52
Phonological Awareness:Green and white squares: so, he, go, why
Word Building: On boards: so, he, go, why

Etc. etc. I also highlight the words so I can quickly see them when I glance down.

I'm sorry your admin doesn't understand phonics. My P is ALL about phonics- sometimes to a fault, IMO. The reason the previous pattern words are in the dictation is because students who are struggling with reading this much need constant review and repetition. Just doing those patterns for a few lessons would never work for them- they'd never retain those patterns into long term memory. Even if your admin doesn't understand phonics, they should understand spiral review.

If you have a title 1 coordinator or someone who you answer to besides this admin, I might have that person speak to them about the program and why it's needed. That shouldn't all fall on you.

As far as assessments, we are required to do DIBELS progress monitoring weekly. We also give phonics screeners (we use the ones from 95% group) at least once per quarter, and more often if we feel a student is in the wrong intervention group. We meet every 6 weeks for data to teams to rearrange the groups. I also sometimes do my own spelling assessments because I don't always like the way the SPIRE ones are set up.

For example, with one group I just finished the silent e lessons and to ensure they were ready to move on and I made my own spelling assessment with silent e and closed syllable words for each vowel sound, to make sure they really understood and weren't over generalizing, which is something my students typically do (i.e. I wanted to make sure if I told them to spell "hop" they weren't just automatically adding on an "e" and making it "hope" since we'd been covering silent e).
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
TitleHelp

TitleHelp

Old 10-28-2018, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had to explain that it was set up as a spiral review to make sure they are retaining the skills that weíve learned. Admin has head of Title saying one thing and a reading instruction coach saying something else. I go by what head of Title says, but then admin goes by the other and that person isnít totally correct. Itís really complicated and then it makes my job complicated because I have to justify everything. No one else does because their admins are great about letting Title do what they need to do to help the students.