Jehova students

>

learn

Jehova students
Old 12-08-2018, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,
Happy Holidays!

What can I possibly tell my class whom is asking why are we not doing any Christmas crafts?

I'm gearing more towards activities of snowman and winter season.

Any advice on what you've all done in the past with second graders whom are JW and Christmas holiday crafts?

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Why can't you do crafts?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your question is not simple, and depending how you answer it can cause a major sh*t storm.

Not all questions need an answer. I have had kids ask me all sort of stuff, like above. I pretend I don't hear it. 2nd graders don't need a run down of your lesson plan. It's a different deal if a parent stirs it up.

Is this a district mandate?
Is this a principal's decision?
Is the JW family playing total hard ball, and is gunning for bear if a snowman surfaces? They've directly told you no x,y or z. They are not willing to be absent or go to the library or some other room if crafts are done?

Are you assuming because the kid/s are JW everything is totally off the table?

The other second grade classes are getting Santa and goodies, while you kids look at their hands from 2pm to 2:45 pm?

In my area, there are three Kingdom Halls. The district lets everyone go buck wild over Christmas. Think 1970s era holiday class party except no trees, no nativity set, no true church hymns. The JW students either get pulled out before the party and go home, or call in absent on that day. I guessing that is the Kingdom Halls' default policy because no one has said/done anything else. In my sister's district the kids go to the computer room/media center.

Since I don't know why you can't do crafts, you don't "owe" the kids any explanation. You can survive 2nd grade without making a marshmallow snowman or cutting out a Christmas tree. The minute you pin it on the JW/Muslim/Hindu kid or give some vague statement that everyone doesn't celebrate Christmas, you have a good change of getting verbal napalm on your head. This is not a hill to die on. I do cheerful and stupid, and ignore the question.

If a parent is raising hell about Biff not getting his golden moment holiday party, that is totally different tire fire.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
What can I possibly tell my class whom is asking why are we not doing any Christmas crafts?
If an individual student asks you privately: "...because some students are not allowed to do them, and so we are choosing projects everyone can participate in." If they still balk: (best teacher look) "Isn't including people part of the Christmas spirit?"

It's tough if they ask during class, though, because you don't want the JW kids to hear and feel like it's their "fault."

Quote:
Any advice on what you've all done in the past with second graders whom are JW and Christmas holiday crafts?
It all depends on the parents. Some are fine with an alternate project for their kids while the others do holiday stuff, some have the kids go to the library during crafts, some don't send them on party days...

Last edited by Lakeside; 12-08-2018 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spelling
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Are the kids really asking that?
Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Or are you just anticipating it? Second graders love to do crafts and art and I can’t see them questioning it. I think I could probably do tiger and elephants and they would be so excited they wouldn’t even think about the holidays.

I do a beautiful snowman art project — some kids put Christmas trees in the background, others do not.

In the past I did this Santa face with a crazy, colorful beard— my JW student did the same thing but left off the hat so his was a bald man with a crazy beard.

We do a star clay Christmas Tree ornament. It is white and the students decorate it using blue ink with their own design — very stunning. I point out for those that don’t have trees — it is a decoration that can be hung anywhere. I hung my daughter’s on the wall for several years. (I call it star art. I never refer to it as an ornament, though I do mention it could be hung on a Christmas tree...and add on in a window or on a wall.)

I used to do a project where students created a triangle tree and then decorated it using only triangle shapes — some did Christmas trees and others made birds and branches.

The key is to provide a very general theme and let the kids decide how they will decorate it — much more creative anyway.

This not only takes care of your JW kids, but Jewish kids, and any others who do not celebrate Christmas — while still letting those who do celebrate it an opportunity still do it, too.

As for holiday parties, the parents handle those so really no restrictions. Our few JW students usually stay home that day or leave early.
Gogogo is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't do winter crafts for the most part (one year we made geometric elves for a door display) and no one ever asks. I don't make gifts for kids to take home and no one ever asks.

I do usually have someone ask close to the last day before break whether we are having a party. I don't typically do parties, either, but do some activity in celebration. Usually has an educational focus as I really don't know why it would be in my job description to have holiday parties. I am not a party planner, and I don't need 20 parents and their younger children in my room wanting fed and entertained for an hour or two. Not my job. I don't enjoy it.

I used to take celebrations and assign parents to a celebration to help provide treats or activity supplies. However, I don't even want to do that after having parents come in, sit down, and continue to sit there the entire time. I even had one mom who made her child go up and get her food and bring her a plate. while I worked the room and made sure kids were in control and taken care of. I am done with it after too many attitudes like that.

One year when the kids were eating and quietly chatting with each other a day got up and said, "What kind of party is this?" because the kids were not running around like crazy people. Idiot. I didn't even let him come back after that.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-08-2018, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm with a pp; I don't think you owe a 2nd grader an explanation about your lesson plans. I'm also wondering if kids are really complaining or if you're just anticipating that. I'd honestly be surprised if you're still doing a craft/fun activity or whatever and the kids complain that they have to do a snowman instead of Santa Claus. That just seems like an odd complaint to me, and if one of my kids were complaining about a fun activity my response would be, "I'm happy to give you a math/writing/whatever assignment to do instead if you'd like."

I personally would never say anything like "because some kids don't celebrate Christmas" even in private. I'd be afraid that would lead to a witch hunt about who is "ruining it for everyone."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-27-2019, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"That's not in our lesson plan."
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote